Avocado - did you know this?

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
9:43 PM
Now I'm not a fan of avocado but I know that many people are. I've always known that for a fruit its really rather high in calories. But did you know that there is a considerable difference in calories, depending on which type of avocado you choose?

There are two basic types which are readily available, the smooth skinned and the rough skinned. And here is the difference:
  • One cup of Florida avocado (that's the smooth skinned type) has 276 calories and 23 grams of fat.
  • One cup of Hass avocado (that's the darker green rough skinned type) has 384 calories and 35 grams of fat
That is over 100 calories difference!

https://www.avoseedo.com/the-real-difference-between-florida-and-hass-avocados/

Now I'm not a fan of avocado but I know that many people are. I've always known that for a fruit its really rather high in calories. But did you know that there is a considerable difference in calories, depending on which type of avocado you choose?

There are two basic types which are readily available, the smooth skinned and the rough skinned. And here is the difference:
  • One cup of Florida avocado (that's the smooth skinned type) has 276 calories and 23 grams of fat.
  • One cup of Hass avocado (that's the darker green rough skinned type) has 384 calories and 35 grams of fat
That is over 100 calories difference!

https://www.avoseedo.com/the-real-difference-between-florida-and-hass-avocados/
You missed the avocados from Mexico. The Haas avocado is larger than its Florida and Mexico cousins. By about a 1/3. I would have assumed bigger means more calories.
It is easy to find both here, but it is hard to find one that is actually ripe. They are either green and hard or black and smushy (overripe).

Price varies too. Not sure on flavor as I don't eat them either.

You missed the avocados from Mexico. The Haas avocado is larger than its Florida and Mexico cousins. By about a 1/3. I would have assumed bigger means more calories.
It is easy to find both here, but it is hard to find one that is actually ripe. They are either green and hard or black and smushy (overripe).
The measurements above are cup measurements - so the size of the avocado is irrelevant. I was quoting the article which didn't mention Mexican. Here we get two kinds: the Hass and 'the other one'! 'The other one' isn't known as Florida but is smooth skinned.

The measurements above are cup measurements - so the size of the avocado is irrelevant. I was quoting the article which didn't mention Mexican. Here we get two kinds: the Hass and 'the other one'! 'The other one' isn't known as Florida but is smooth skinned.
I guess I need to learn to read. I missed the cup.
Oh our regular bananas come from Ecuador. Organic ones from Guatemala.

Here our food comes from all over the globe - but there is a big movement to get supermarkets to stock more regional produce. Its not as good as it sound on a socio-political level, since many poorer economies rely on us importing food. It seems like in US you mainly import from adjacent countries and not so much from across the world. Is that right?

Here our food comes from all over the globe - but there is a big movement to get supermarkets to stock more regional produce. Its not as good as it sound on a socio-political level, since many poorer economies rely on us importing food. It seems like in US you mainly import from adjacent countries and not so much from across the world. Is that right?
Most of our produce comes from central and South America. Most beef comes from Fort Worth, Amarillo, Tx and Grand Island, NE. All other foods are produced here in the states mainly.

I didn't know that different avocados could be different in calories. I don't eat them very often but I like them in guacamole. I've also made a cake using avocado. It turned out rather well.

I'm surprised that anyone would think that they would be the same. Why would they be? Why would ask varieties of apples have the same number of calories (they have different levels of sugars in them) and do all varieties of nuts have the same calories? So why can't different avocados have different levels of calories?

Back
Top Bottom