Aw Shucks!

CraigC

Guru
Local time
8:04 AM
Looks like I'm gonna be busy.

36788-albums1135-picture8329.jpg

Average about 2-1/2" with some 3-1/2" to 4". The place called them Texas oysters, so I guess not everything is big in Texas. :whistling: This is the first time I've ever bought oysters by the pound.

Average about 2-1/2" with some 3-1/2" to 4". The place called them Texas oysters, so I guess not everything is big in Texas. :whistling: This is the first time I've ever bought oysters by the pound.

Oysters are always priced 'per oyster' or per number of oysters here - usually 6 or a dozen at a time. They are currently about £1 to £1.50 each. That's $1.23 to $1.85 each. How do yours work out?

I haven't noticed that Texas oysters are any bigger than normal, but that's pretty much what you get here. I only get oysters at restaurants, where they are sold by the dozen.

BTW, there is a chain of oyster bars in the Dallas area names Aw Shucks.

CD

Malden and/or Mersey Island rocks and natives are the best in the UK in my opinion - better than any I've eaten in France. Did a search of my photos and found over 25 shots of oysters eaten on different occasions. I must try to add to that. Here are some Malden rocks:

And with home-made rye:

Second dish, po'boys.
View attachment 42650

Third dish , Grilled oysters with herb/garlic butter.
View attachment 42651

We ended up with around 6 dozen for $58. The same oysters were $13 for a dozen, so buying a 30 pound bag was a pretty good deal.

Yours are cheap, ours around $30 a dozen. A real treat given minimum wage is $17 hr. I normally have them two or three times a season. Once raw and then fried in batter.

Russ

Oh, some of them can be a lot more depending on what kind and where they come from. That just happened to be the price for that particular kind.

Oh, some of them can be a lot more depending on what kind and where they come from. That just happened to be the price for that particular kind.

We also get farmed from the north island , about half price of our ones. I won't eat them, tasteless and small. They are called pacific oysters.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom