Béchamel sauce

Yorky

RIP 21/01/2024
Local time
5:55 AM
There appears to be at least two methods of preparing béchamel sauce. I have had minimal success with adding the flour to melted butter then slowly adding the milk and not much more success in adding flour and butter to cold milk and bringing it all to a simmer. I sieve the flour in both cases.

I appreciate that both methods require constant stirring but I just can't get it "perfect".

Any tips?

The basic method is to make a roux of flour and fat (you can use oil) and cook it for a few minutes then add the milk gradually. I generally use a whisk. I also do it in the microwave to save washing up a saucepan but its the same principle doing it on the hob. I haven't come across the second method.

What is the problem? Are you getting lumps?

You must scald the milk first (heat to 82C/180F, or the point where the milk is just starting to rise up the pan). Take the pan off the heat. Melt the butter in a saucepan, work in the flour gradually until smooth. Then slowly add the milk with a pinch of nutmeg, salt and pepper, and cook very gently, stirring all the time, for 15-20 minutes until the sauce is thick and there is no odour of flour.

I notice she uses sauce flour (this is specially finely milled flour which is made to be added to liquids). Plain flour is listed as an alternative in the ingredients.
Try using vegetable oil instead of butter. You may find it mixes more easily. Are you using a whisk?

I use this thingy (not the brush).

silicone brush s.jpg

I'm intending to give it another go tomorrow. I'll try Delia's method but I don't have a metal whisk. It has a 50% chance - it'll work or it won't.

I have a whole Chinese cabbage to cook (well, I'll chop it up a bit first).

Success today!

I left my wife to deal with the Yorkshire fried chicken and focused my undivided attention on the béchamel sauce. Delia method and not a lump in sight. I used general purpose flour (the same as I use for the pizza bases), milk and "Meadowlea" spread. And I used the yellow whisk thingy.

View attachment 10763

I left my wife to deal with the Yorkshire fried chicken and focused my undivided attention on the béchamel sauce.

I used 250 ml milk, 1 level tablespoon of flour (subsequently sieved) and a heaped teaspoon of Meadowlea (plus salt and black pepper).

Back
Top Bottom