Backyard fire pit

thegrey

Veteran
Local time
9:25 PM
We moved into our house a year ago, and have been looking forward to doing something with our yard to make it homier. My son came up with a great solution, a backyard fire pit. He dug a pit about 2' deep by 2' around.Then he lined the top of it with some nice rocks. He stacked the rocks and used clay as an adhesive to keep them together. It looks nice and rustic. I can't wait for my next day off! We're going to lay a grate across it and grill some steaks!

fp.jpg

this one is at a local pub,they are getting very popular in the uk,
we have one at the brother n laws Spanish villa but its hard to use in the dry season due to the fire risk
nothing like watching the flames

Good luck with such a thing here in the UK. As I sit and watch the rain pour down again I wonder if most of these things will end up as rather nice homes for frogs and other small pond dwellers.

That sounds like a great idea. My parents had something like that that we really enjoyed. My sister came up with the design and did most of the work. Hope you enjoy it. Grilling steaks over the fire sounds like a lot of fun.

Do remember fire safety though, always keep a big bucket of water and a shovel near by.

Good luck with such a thing here in the UK. As I sit and watch the rain pour down again I wonder if most of these things will end up as rather nice homes for frogs and other small pond dwellers.

Ha, that was my first thought too! Some type of cover is definitely needed to prevent a fire pit from basically becoming a pond!

We moved into our house a year ago, and have been looking forward to doing something with our yard to make it homier. My son came up with a great solution, a backyard fire pit. He dug a pit about 2' deep by 2' around.Then he lined the top of it with some nice rocks. He stacked the rocks and used clay as an adhesive to keep them together. It looks nice and rustic. I can't wait for my next day off! We're going to lay a grate across it and grill some steaks!

That's such a sweet story... I can't wait until we have a yard again so we can do the same thing! I know my one son would love to do something like that.

You can also wrap some potatoes in foil and place them in the embers to cook.

The pit would become a pond here too in no time if it was not covered during the rainy season. I would love to have a fire pit when we buy a house so I can cook meat and veggies over an open flame. It would be like camping all of the time!

The pit would become a pond here too in no time if it was not covered during the rainy season. I would love to have a fire pit when we buy a house so I can cook meat and veggies over an open flame. It would be like camping all of the time!
That's the advantage of a big chimnea ,covered ,can cook on embers and grill,can shut it down so sparks don't come out,and the beauty of watching the flames

It is good to have a fire pit in your background. You can still use firewood to cook your foods. Make sure you have it on a dry place where rain will not affect it. You can cook and roast your foods safely.

I hope you post some pictures, I'd love to see them. Hopefully someday I will have a fire pit or chimnea, also. Right now, I spend a lot more time upstairs than downstairs, which is where it would be, since that would be safer, so for now I can enjoy yours vicariously.

During the olden days when life was a bit harder and money was scarce, our grill is the makeshift oven that we made in our backyard. It consisted of 3 hollow blocks or sometimes adobe blocks that we form like the letter U. Inside is a shallow pit where charcoal is placed. For the grilling iron, a screen mesh was what we used. It was a typical poor man's grill. But now what we use is the modern griller made of galvanized iron with a stand. Things are getting better, indeed.

That's the advantage of a big chimnea ,covered ,can cook on embers and grill,can shut it down so sparks don't come out,and the beauty of watching the flames

@Berties Do you have a pic of what you call a chimnea? I want to see if it's similar to what we call chimneas here.

Hmm pics don't seem to be working. At first, I thought it was me, then I remembered the site's being worked on, so maybe that's the issue. Hopefully it'll resolve, and the pic will be visible later.

Attachments

• chimnea clay.jpg
    chimnea clay.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 225
Back
Top Bottom