Recipe Baked Provolone Cheese

Francesca

Local time
1:08 PM
FRANCESCAprovolone75014_170034413143907_1008139640_n.jpg

Baked Provolone In Terracotta Clay Earthenware, Delicious and simply as A, B, C ..

Ingredients & Tools:

1 Cazuela / Earthenware Clay Baking Vessel ..
1 large round of Provolone per person
1 Green Italian Horn Pepper or Bell variety
1 Red Onion sliced in thin arcs or rings.
1 small Red Bell or Italian Red Horn Pepper ..
A home made tomato sauce ( or if you prefer a bottled variety)
Italian Extra virgin olive oil to grease the earthenware so that the tomato sauce does not stick to the earthenware ..
Salt, Freshly Ground Pepper, and a pinch of: Dried Basil or Fresh, Parsely or Fresh, Thyme, Oregano and Savory ..

1) Slice all your veggies in rings or arcs as in photograph ..
2) Pre heat Oven to 180 Centigrade
3) In the earthenware vessel: Grease with 1 tablespoon of Italian Evvo.
4) Then, place your tomato sauce ( 3 tablespoons more or less to coat the earthenware.
5) Place the thick round of Provolone on top of the tomato sauce.
6) Gently place the veggies on top of the cheese as seen in photo.
7) Sprinkle the herbs and spices to your taste ..
8) Guard carefully as Provolone has a low heating point. I bake mine for exactly 5 minutes to 7 minutes at the most ..
9) Serve with some Rustic Country Italian Bread for dipping and a Chilled Italian Verdecchio White Wine or a Prosecco. White Wine dissovles fats in the system ..

Enjoy ! Voila ! Buon Apetito.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bake mine for exactly 5 minutes to 7 minutes at the most ..

I like the idea of this recipe. My only thought is regarding the peppers - are they crunchy or are they supposed to be cooked until tender? I see a lot of recipes using bell peppers where the cooking times are so short that the peppers remain crunchy - this is fine in a stir-fry but to my mind, not in a casserole or baked type dish. I noticed the cooking time here and wondered...

View attachment 7652

Baked Provolone In Terracotta Clay Earthenware, Delicious and simply as A, B, C ..

Ingredients & Tools:

1 Cazuela / Earthenware Clay Baking Vessel ..
1 large round of Provolone per person
1 Green Italian Horn Pepper or Bell variety
1 Red Onion sliced in thin arcs or rings.
1 small Red Bell or Italian Red Horn Pepper ..
A home made tomato sauce ( or if you prefer a bottled variety)
Italian Extra virgin olive oil to grease the earthenware so that the tomato sauce does not stick to the earthenware ..
Salt, Freshly Ground Pepper, and a pinch of: Dried Basil or Fresh, Parsely or Fresh, Thyme, Oregano and Savory ..

1) Slice all your veggies in rings or arcs as in photograph ..
2) Pre heat Oven to 180 Centigrade
3) In the earthenware vessel: Grease with 1 tablespoon of Italian Evvo.
4) Then, place your tomato sauce ( 3 tablespoons more or less to coat the earthenware.
5) Place the thick round of Provolone on top of the tomato sauce.
6) Gently place the veggies on top of the cheese as seen in photo.
7) Sprinkle the herbs and spices to your taste ..
8) Guard carefully as Provolone has a low heating point. I bake mine for exactly 5 minutes to 7 minutes at the most ..
9) Serve with some Rustic Country Italian Bread for dipping and a Chilled Italian Verdecchio White Wine or a Prosecco. White Wine dissovles fats in the system ..

Enjoy ! Voila ! Buon Apetito.

I like it very much! I made this recipe but in cookingpan version. Sometimes I use Galbanino cheese or caciocavallo cheese instead of provolone.
The final tip "Italian Verdicchio or Prosecco white wine" is the little cherry on a cake :thumbsup:

I like it very much! I made this recipe but in cookingpan version. Sometimes I use Galbanino cheese or caciocavallo cheese instead of provolone.
The final tip "Italian Verdicchio or Prosecco white wine" is the little cherry on a cake :thumbsup:

@MypinchofItaly,

Wow ! This is a favorite " quick " lunch with a salad .. Yes, the Verdicchio or Prosecco of course are the cherry on the cake !! We say: The Icing on the Cake. They mean the same !!! I do not know if I can buy Galbanino here in Barcelona. I will check at the Italian Cheese Market I go to.

They have some amazing provolone and it is has herbs in it too .. And all naturally grazed cows ..

And one can play with toppings, for example : a bit of zucchini or anchovies or gamberi ( prawns ) or whatever suits one´s taste. Prosciutto too.

It is called a Provoletta in Italiano. I had eaten this in Italy many years ago, and I saved the récipe that the Chef had given me, and it is a standard on our at home menus at least one time a month !!!

Thanks so much.
Buonasera ..
Grazie mille ..

I like the idea of this recipe. My only thought is regarding the peppers - are they crunchy or are they supposed to be cooked until tender? I see a lot of recipes using bell peppers where the cooking times are so short that the peppers remain crunchy - this is fine in a stir-fry but to my mind, not in a casserole or baked type dish. I noticed the cooking time here and wondered...

@morning glory,

My pepper rings are tender however, slightly crunchy crispy.

The key to your question, is soak them in a little bit of ice wáter for about 12 - 15 minutes before so they will be as tender as you like when you bake on top of the provolone . Or you can sauté them in Evoo for a couple of minutes per side if you wish.

It is quite a heavenly lunch and wonderful with a nice salad.

Have a lovely evening .. Thanks again ..

Last edited:
Very tasty! I can see how this can come together very quickly, but I'm thinking that I'd want to make my own sauce and bread to really appreciate it. Thanks for sharing!

@The Late Night Gourmet,

Thank you .. It is just a simple heavenly lunch for 2 " cheese-a-holics " !! And versatile. You can put tomato or anchovies or zucchini or prosciutto on top of the provolone .. Toppings are vast ! Oh definitely my own tomato sauce !!

I am too busy to take a bread baking course, however, I have a wonderful bakery where I can buy good Baguettes or Rustic " Chapata " ..

During the Christmas Holidays, I make an amazing Genovese Focaccia .. However, bread is a real Project .. And I travel for my profession so it is really impossible at this time .. I do admire people who really can bake a really excellent bread ..

Last edited:
@MypinchofItaly,

Wow ! This is a favorite " quick " lunch with a salad .. Yes, the Verdicchio or Prosecco of course are the cherry on the cake !! We say: The Icing on the Cake. They mean the same !!! I do not know if I can buy Galbanino here in Barcelona. I will check at the Italian Cheese Market I go to.

They have some amazing provolone and it is has herbs in it too .. And all naturally grazed cows ..

And one can play with toppings, for example : a bit of zucchini or anchovies or gamberi ( prawns ) or whatever suits one´s taste. Prosciutto too.

It is called a Provoletta in Italiano. I had eaten this in Italy many years ago, and I saved the récipe that the Chef had given me, and it is a standard on our at home menus at least one time a month !!!

Thanks so much.
Buonasera ..
Grazie mille ..

With zucchine must be very good..also with aubergine I think.
Anyway, great standard at your home! It's true, this is a simple and very tasty recipe! So, Icing on the Cake :laugh:
Barcelona..fantastic city and I like spanish cuisine (and also portuguese cuisine, your neighboroughs). Sometimes we go in a spanish restaurant in Milano called Tapa's and wow! And I love also your red wine Sangre de Toro...
I've never heard Provoletta in Italian language :scratchhead:...
Comunque buonissima!

Last edited:
With zucchine must be very good..also with aubergine I think.
Anyway, great standard at your home! It's true, this is a simple and very tasty recipe! So, Icing on the Cake :laugh:
Barcelona..fantastic city and I like spanish cuisine (and also portuguese cuisine, your neighboroughs). Sometimes we go in a spanish restaurant in Milano called Tapa's and wow! And I love also your red wine Sangre de Toro...
I've never heard Provoletta in Italian language :scratchhead:...
Comunque buonissima!

Thank you. Definitely " Icing on the Cake " ..

Yes, Barcelona is a fascinating City .. And I have had some amazing Portuguese Cuisine too.

Sangre de Toro: This red wine is produced by Miguel Torres Bodegas in Pénedès, about 30 km. from Barcelona. It is an excellent red for the quality and Price ratio. It is a wine that truly enhances a good beef, lamb, venison or a veal dish .. For example: Osso Buco .. or Roasts ..

Provoletta must be " A colloquial Italian - Spanish Word " .. I am not sure what this would be called in Italian, however, it is called " Provoletta " here .. Sort of a creation to identify the dish ..

What do you call this in Italiano ?

Aubergine or Eggplant would be lovely too, however, it requires a roasting it until tender ..

I was in Milano in 2015 for the Eataly Gastronomic Event .. I am a grand fan of Risotto and the Risotto, I enjoyed the most was at an enchanting rustic venue called: Il Buey e La Patata .. I highly recommend it .. It is not far from the Eataly Building ..

eataly_milano.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you. Definitely " Icing on the Cake " ..

Yes, Barcelona is a fascinating City .. And I have had some amazing Portuguese Cuisine too.

Sangre de Toro: This red wine is produced by Miguel Torres Bodegas in Pénedès, about 30 km. from Barcelona. It is an excellent red for the quality and Price ratio. It is a wine that truly enhances a good beef, lamb, venison or a veal dish .. For example: Osso Buco .. or Roasts ..

Provoletta must be " A colloquial Italian - Spanish Word " .. I am not sure what this would be called in Italian, however, it is called " Provoletta " here .. Sort of a creation to identify the dish ..

What do you call this in Italiano ?

Aubergine or Eggplant would be lovely too, however, it requires a roasting it until tender ..

I was in Milano in 2015 for the Eataly Gastronomic Event .. I am a grand fan of Risotto and the Risotto, I enjoyed the most was at an enchanting rustic venue called: Il Buey e La Patata .. I highly recommend it .. It is not far from the Eataly Building ..

View attachment 7668

Yes, Portuguese cuisine is also very good and I love Portugal too.
I've never been at Eataly yet..I'll go first or then. Did you go for turism or for work? I'm a great fan of rice and risotto too...I'm addicted to risotto..and by these parts, in the North of Italy, there is an ancient tradition of risotti.
Provoletta I think is a diminutive of a little piece provolone but that we call Provola and Provoletta isn't very use. And I think the name of the dish Provoletta it has been given by chef only to identify a little slices of provolone. Anyway, is very good both as Provoletta and Provolone :)

Yes, Portuguese cuisine is also very good and I love Portugal too.
I've never been at Eataly yet..I'll go first or then. Did you go for turism or for work? I'm a great fan of rice and risotto too...I'm addicted to risotto..and by these parts, in the North of Italy, there is an ancient tradition of risotti.
Provoletta I think is a diminutive of a little piece provolone but that we call Provola and Provoletta isn't very use. And I think the name of the dish Provoletta it has been given by chef only to identify a little slices of provolone. Anyway, is very good both as Provoletta and Provolone :)

@MypinchofItaly

Thank you for your note.

1) We went to visit a Dear friend in Milano, who is a Pastry Chef. So, it was a combination of both, profesional to see a Travel Tour Operator and to see a dear friend of many years who used to live in Spain however, he is from Milano.

2) Yes, I am a grand fan of Risotto. Yes, Lombardy is Carnaroli and Arburio rice growing country .. I usually make mine with Carnaroli.

3) I am going to do some research on the dish and its proper name. I have my Cheese Market Man slice the Provolone in thick Rounds to fit the 2 earthenware dishes for oven baking ..

4) Eataly: Is a 4 floor gastronomic Paradise which consists of : Book shop to go crazy in; vegetable and fruit market, cafés, snacks, fish market, meat market, herb market, gelatto kiosks, Michelin Restaurants, trattorias etcetra and Show Cooking Demonstrations. There is no charge at door, it is free of cost to enter the building and explore !! It is amazing.

I am very surprised that you have not been yet !!

Have a wonderful day.

@MypinchofItaly,

History of Provoleta :

An Italian business man by the name Don Natallo Alba, from Cosenza, Calabria, Itay, went to both Argentina and Uruguay to export Provolone and he created this " Provoleta " dish in Argentina in 1940.

The provolone discs are 15 cm. round and approx. 2 cm. in height ..

They are put on a BBQ in Argentina and Uruguay and seasoned with Chimichurri Herbs ..

This is an Argentinian name as here is where it was developed and remains extraordinarily popular since 1940 ..

It is also titled : Carritos La Costanera ..

Have a lovely day..

@MypinchofItaly

Thank you for your note.

1) We went to visit a Dear friend in Milano, who is a Pastry Chef. So, it was a combination of both, profesional to see a Travel Tour Operator and to see a dear friend of many years who used to live in Spain however, he is from Milano.

2) Yes, I am a grand fan of Risotto. Yes, Lombardy is Carnaroli and Arburio rice growing country .. I usually make mine with Carnaroli.

3) I am going to do some research on the dish and its proper name. I have my Cheese Market Man slice the Provolone in thick Rounds to fit the 2 earthenware dishes for oven baking ..

4) Eataly: Is a 4 floor gastronomic Paradise which consists of : Book shop to go crazy in; vegetable and fruit market, cafés, snacks, fish market, meat market, herb market, gelatto kiosks, Michelin Restaurants, trattorias etcetra and Show Cooking Demonstrations. There is no charge at door, it is free of cost to enter the building and explore !! It is amazing.

I am very surprised that you have not been yet !!

Have a wonderful day.

I'm a strange animal :) I've never been in Expo too because I don't like this kind of organization (but this is another story).
In Milan I'm always around for exhibitions, design events, painting, photography, theater, various initiatives ... eataly I've forgotten it! But sooner or later I know I'll go. I prefer the small village fairs where to find and taste local handmade local produce, I do not know, give me the idea of being more genuine, genuine. But maybe I'll have a way to recapture gone from eataly. Besides, I like to "challenge" and find new things.
Well, I found a risotto addicted too! I use Carnaroli too and love also Arborio and Originario when I prepare cake/sweets.

@MypinchofItaly,

History of Provoleta :

An Italian business man by the name Don Natallo Alba, from Cosenza, Calabria, Itay, went to both Argentina and Uruguay to export Provolone and he created this " Provoleta " dish in Argentina in 1940.

The provolone discs are 15 cm. round and approx. 2 cm. in height ..

They are put on a BBQ in Argentina and Uruguay and seasoned with Chimichurri Herbs ..

This is an Argentinian name as here is where it was developed and remains extraordinarily popular since 1940 ..

It is also titled : Carritos La Costanera ..

Have a lovely day..

Oh ok, That's why I did not return the name provoletta .. in Italy it is not used.Anyway is an interesting story! Thank you for posting!

@MypinchofItaly

I understand your views. I loved the Book Selection on the ground floor. I enjoyed the Eataly, and loved viewing the show cooking and the markets ..

I am also a big fan of Farmers Markets, tiny specialty shops, and I adore flea markets too ..

Have a lovely evening.

It is late 12am ..

Buonanotte.

Back
Top Bottom