Forum GOD!
Local time
8:14 PM
Website
mypinchofitaly.co.uk
Baked rice and savoy cabbage.jpg

Serves 2, Preparation time 15 mins, Cooking time 45-50 mins

• Carnaroli rice, 180 g
  • a tablespoon of lard (keep a little aside to grease the baking tin)
  • 6 or 7 leaves of savoy cabbage
  • salt and black pepper to taste
  • 60 g mozzarella

Method

Bring a saucepan full of salted water to the boil, pour in the rice, cook for about 10 minutes. Drain it and put it in a bowl. Cut each savoy cabbage leaf in half (or diced them if you prefer) and add them in the same water where you boiled rice, cook until they become very soft, from 10 to 15 minutes.
In a pan, melt the lard with a sprig of fresh or dry thyme, add the rice and the cabbage, brown for about 5 minutes adding a pinch of black pepper. Take off from the heat.
Cut the mozzarella into cubes or slices.
Grease a baking tin with a bit of lard, add the rice and savoy cabbage making layers and between one layer and another put the diced mozzarella. Ultimate with a last leaf of savoy cabbage and some mozzarella cubes, bake at 180 degrees for about 20 minutes.
Let it cool slightly, add another pinch of black ground pepper and serve.

It took a long time, but I finally made this. I don’t know what took me so long. As you can see, I used red cabbage instead of savoy cabbage. I also sprinkled some mozzarella on top, and browned it under the broiler at the very end. This is a tasty, and easy to make dish that I will certainly make again.

Last edited:
It took a long time, but I finally made this. I don’t know what took me so long. As you can see, I used red cabbage instead of subway cabbage. I also sprinkled some mozzarella on top, and browned it under the broiler at the very end. This is a tasty, and easy to make dish that I will certainly make again.

Oh my, I had forgotten this recipe! Yours looks great!

It took a long time, but I finally made this. I don’t know what took me so long. As you can see, I used red cabbage instead of subway cabbage. I also sprinkled some mozzarella on top, and browned it under the broiler at the very end. This is a tasty, and easy to make dish that I will certainly make again.

Looks really good, but check your spell check. LOL! %$!@t% thing.

Looks really good, but check your spell check. LOL! %$!@t% thing.

Thanks...talk-to-text decided that I meant subway cabbage. LOL. Even funnier is that when I googled "subway cabbage", savoy cabbage came up. Well...that, and whatever this is (note the subway cabbage in the lower center of the picture):

han-bing-walking-the-cabbage-in-the-beijing-subway.jpg

Back
Top Bottom