Baked Spinach Dip Loaf
Yields 4-1/2 cups

Ingredients

2 packages (8oz each) cream cheese, softened
1 cup mayonnaise
1 package (10oz) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1 cup (4oz) shredded cheddar cheese
1 can (8oz) water chestnuts, drained and chopped
5 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled (streaky bacon/belly bacon)
1 green onion, chopped
2 tsp dill weed
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 tsp seasoned salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
1 unsliced round loaf (about a pound) sourdough bread
Raw vegetables

Directions

1. In a large mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and mayonnaise. Stir in the spinach, cheese, water chestnuts, bacon, onion, and seasonings.

2. Cut a 1-1/2-inch slice off the top of the bread and set aside. Carefully hollow out bottom, leaving a 1/2-inch shell. Cube removed bread and set aside. Fill the shell with spinach dip and replace top. Wrap in heavy-duty foil and place on a baking sheet.

3. Bake at 375F for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until dip is heated through. Open foil carefully and serve warm with bread cubes and vegetables.

Recipe from The Taste Of Home Cookbook.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you posting the photo in this thread?

Re the recipe, I noticed this:- 1 can (8oz) water chestnuts, drained and chopped.

I found that really rather strange - yet I note that you said in the Cookbook Game thread here:
Nothing unusual in the way of ingredients or technique

I've never before come across water chestnuts being added to a dip. What did you make of that?

Last edited:
I've never before come across water chestnuts being added to a dip. What did you make of that?
I didn't think it odd. I just googled "water chestnuts in spinach dip," and it returned a variety of recipes that include them, so it seems pretty standard.

Here's the photo of the dip:
2FF8A238-E543-4F66-A33D-EB07069158DC.jpeg

Shows what I know! I always associate them with Chinese stir-fries.
I do, too, but it makes sense now that I think of it. Water chestnuts will remain crunchy no matter what you do to them, so you've got that extra element to set apart an otherwise soft interior. This is a great example of how following convention can sometimes cause you to miss a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom