Baking bread with no flour or yeast

BWinCA

Local time
5:43 AM
I have been looking for a low-carb bread for a while and, as those of you who watch carbs know, low-carb bread leaves much much to be desired. Well, I found a fantastic recipe and the bread tastes great! Not only does it have very little carbs but prep is only about 25 minutes and baking it is about 55 minutes. How easy is that?!

This recipe is for challah, an egg-based bread used as the primary bread for Jewish gatherings and even daily consumption. Versions of it are world-wide and it is therefore called many different names and reflects cultural tastes. So feel free to put raisins in it, berries, etc.

PREP TIME10 minutes COOK TIME45 minutes TOTAL TIME 55 minutes

Ingredients
4 eggs (plus egg white of another one- optional)
(50g) 1/3 Cup Sugar (I substituted with Splenda and no one could tell the difference)
(345 g) 1 1/2 Cup Cream Cheese
(60g) 1/4 Cup Butter
(60g) 1/4 Cup Heavy Cream
(60g) 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
(100g) 1 Cup Unflavored Whey Protein
(85g) 2/3 Cup Vanilla Protein (I used French vanilla)
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 tsp Baking Soda
2 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Xanthan gum
1/2 of Lemon Zest

Instructions
1. Heat oven to 320F (160C)
2. In a separate bowl, mix eggs into fluffiness, then add sugar and mix again.
3. Add Cream Cheese and all of the liquid ingredients and mix again
4. Once that is properly mixed, add all of the dried ingredients and finish it with mixing it all together.
5. Mix with hands (about 5-10 minutes) while adding the fresh lemon zest
6. Pour into baking pan (Length x Width x Height: 13,7 x 6 x 2,7 Inches or 35 x 15 x 7 Cm)
7. Bake for ~ 55 Minutes

Note- I bought a challah bread mold and prior to putting the mixture in it I sprayed it with canola oil and put white sesame seeds and black poppy seeds in, then poured the mixture over the seeds.

Also, if you want to give the bread an egg white glaze take it out after about 40 minutes and apply the egg white and then put it back, right side up, for 10-15 minutes. (As you can tell I left mine in a few minutes too long as I like it a bit lighter :)

If you want to have it look like the picture, here is the mold I bought-

cleardot.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom