Baking Powder subs?

MypinchofItaly

Forum GOD!
Local time
5:51 AM
Website
mypinchofitaly.co.uk
I was about to make a savoury cornbread days ago, but when I’ve read “baking powder” I realised that I’ve never came across with it. At first I thought (wrongly) that it was baking soda or a sort of dried yeast, then I’ve found out it’s quite another thing.
I’ve looked for it in a couple of Supermarkets but this product just doesn’t exist here. It’s all about yeast (dried, fresh, instant) and baking soda.
Regardless cornbread, I am curious to know what in general I may use as sub for it.
A searching on Google said that lemon or white eggs work.
It’s a new field for me, thus I am very curious to know your advices, tips, point of views.

Thanks in advance 🙂

Last edited:
It's very common here and readily available, so I've never had to sub for it, but I'm interested in what others post here, and how well it works out.

You can make baking powder out of baking soda, you just need to add acid. I found this while googling:" Yes, as long as there is enough of an acidic ingredient to make a reaction (for 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, you need 1 cup of buttermilk or yogurt or 1 teaspoon lemon juice or vinegar). And remember that baking soda has 4 times the power of baking powder, so 1/4 teaspoon soda is equivalent to 1 teaspoon of baking powder. You can make your own baking powder at home: Sift 1/4 cup cream of tartar and 2 tablespoons baking soda through a fine strainer 3 times into a small bowl. Store airtight at room temperature.
Or, for a teaspoon of baking powder, simply substitute 1/4 teaspoon baking soda and 5/8 teaspoon cream of tartar." Source
I hope that I could help you
stay healthy

You can make baking powder out of baking soda, you just need to add acid. I found this while googling:" Yes, as long as there is enough of an acidic ingredient to make a reaction (for 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, you need 1 cup of buttermilk or yogurt or 1 teaspoon lemon juice or vinegar). And remember that baking soda has 4 times the power of baking powder, so 1/4 teaspoon soda is equivalent to 1 teaspoon of baking powder. You can make your own baking powder at home: Sift 1/4 cup cream of tartar and 2 tablespoons baking soda through a fine strainer 3 times into a small bowl. Store airtight at room temperature.
Or, for a teaspoon of baking powder, simply substitute 1/4 teaspoon baking soda and 5/8 teaspoon cream of tartar." Source
I hope that I could help you
stay healthy

Thank you for that, it sounds interesting, definitely have to start experimenting.

Seems you can get cream of tartar in Italy though I don't know how easy it is to find. Add this to baking soda and you have baking powder (as outlined above by PabloLerntKochen)

Also here:

Cremor tartaro senza glutine | Molino Rossetto

Italians use the same word (lievito) for yeast and baking powder – both are leavening agents but the way that they differentiate between the baking powder and dried yeast is that the packet of baking powder is likely to include a picture of a cake or/and include the phrase per dolci (for cakes). The bustina of dry yeast and will have a picture of bread or pizza on it or/and include per pane (for bread).

Fresh yeast is referred to as lievito fresco compresso (fresh compressed yeast) or lievito industrale (industrial) or lievito di birra (beer yeast).

Italians use the same word (lievito) for yeast and baking powder – both are leavening agents but the way that they differentiate between the baking powder and dried yeast is that the packet of baking powder is likely to include a picture of a cake or/and include the phrase per dolci (for cakes). The bustina of dry yeast and will have a picture of bread or pizza on it or/and include per pane (for bread).

Fresh yeast is referred to as lievito fresco compresso (fresh compressed yeast) or lievito industrale (industrial) or lievito di birra (beer yeast).

Oh! So it’s the same? Gosh, I was going crazy :banghead:

Thank you

baking powder and yeast are not the same - nor do they 'work' the same - but have the same name,,, in Italy.....
in the fine print:
per dolci (for cakes) - this is baking powder
per pane (for bread) - this is yeast

note: some 'quick type' bread recipes use baking powder . . . just in case you find yourself insufficiently confused.....

baking powder and yeast are not the same - nor do they 'work' the same - but have the same name,,, in Italy.....
in the fine print:
per dolci (for cakes) - this is baking powder
per pane (for bread) - this is yeast

note: some 'quick type' bread recipes use baking powder . . . just in case you find yourself insufficiently confused.....

Ok now I am sufficiently confused...

Back
Top Bottom