Baking substitutions

mjd

Veteran
Local time
8:04 PM
Source: King Arthur Flour

Baking powder substitute
For every 1 teaspoon of baking powder called for in the recipe, combine ¼ teaspoon baking soda and ½ teaspoon cream of tartar. Bake immediately.

Baking soda substitute
Baking soda run out? For every ¼ teaspoon used in the recipe, substitute 1 teaspoon baking powder.

Bread crumbs substitute
Use ground rolled oats or crushed cereal in the same ratio: 1 cup of your substitute of choice for 1 cup bread crumbs.

Bread flour substitute
All-purpose flour makes a fine bread flour substitute. Use as much substitute flour as called for in the recipe.

Brown sugar substitute
For each cup of brown sugar, substitute 1 scant cup granulated sugar and 1 tablespoon molasses, or try another brown sugar substitute.

Butter substitute for baking
For baked goods, coconut oil, margarine, or lard can replace butter as 1:1 substitutes.

Buttermilk substitute
Try 1 cup plain yogurt (not Greek), or 1 cup milk mixed with 1 tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice.

Cake flour substitute
To replace 1 cup of cake flour, add 2 tablespoons cornstarch to a 1-cup measuring cup; fill the cup the rest of the way with all-purpose flour to use as a substitute.

Cornstarch substitute
For every 1 tablespoon cornstarch, substitute 1½ tablespoons all-purpose flour.

Cream of tartar substitute
For a recipe that includes beaten egg whites and cream of tartar, use ½ teaspoon lemon juice with the eggs to replace ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar.

Egg substitute for baking
If you’re making yeast breads, cookies, pancakes, or waffles, you can mix 2 tablespoons ground flax meal and 3 tablespoons cold water for every 1 egg called for in the recipe. Let the mixture rest for 10 minutes before adding.

Evaporated milk substitute
In a pinch, you can use half-and-half as a 1:1 substitute, or see more options for a substitute for evaporated milk.

Half-and-half substitute
For every ½ cup called for, use ¼ cup milk and ¼ cup cream, or ½ cup non-dairy coffee creamer.

Heavy cream substitute
Melt ¼ cup unsalted butter and slowly whisk in ¾ cup whole milk or half-and-half for every cup of heavy cream in the recipe, or see more options for a heavy cream substitute.

Honey substitute
Corn syrup, molasses, maple syrup, or agave nectar all work as 1:1 replacements for honey.

Lemon juice substitute
Use cider vinegar as a 1:1 substitute for lemon juice.

Mascarpone cheese substitute
Make your own mascarpone cheese substitute by mixing 12 ounces of room temperature cream cheese with ¼ cup heavy whipping cream and ¼ cup sour cream. This will replace 16 ounces of mascarpone.

Powdered sugar substitute
To replace ½ cup of powdered sugar, grind ½ cup granulated sugar in a blender until fine. Multiply as needed to reach the amount called for in the recipe.

Semi-sweet chocolate substitute
Substitute 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate and ½ teaspoon granulated sugar for each 1 ounce of semi-sweet chocolate called for.

Sour cream substitute
Use plain yogurt as a 1:1 replacement.

More here: Search

Source: King Arthur Flour

Bread flour substitute
All-purpose flour makes a fine bread flour substitute. Use as much substitute flour as called for in the recipe.

I'll take issue with that. I've made bread before that called for bread flour with AP flour when I was out of bread flour and it is acceptable, but the bread flour makes a much better end product.

What you can do is replace 1.5 tsp of AP flour with 1.5 tsp vital wheat gluten (which keeps fine in the freezer), whisk to combine, and that helps a lot.

I'll take issue with that. I've made bread before that called for bread flour with AP flour when I was out of bread flour and it is acceptable, but the bread flour makes a much better end product.

Agreed. Its to do with the gluten in the flour. Bread four has a higher level.

Back
Top Bottom