Baking with sugar instead of maple syrup

I don't think you need to "cook" the sugar. It's not as though it isn't edible before it goes it.

My only concern would be that you're replacing a wet ingredient with a dry one which will affect the binding together of the cake, so you may need to add a little water or yoghurt to hold the mixture together. Leave the temperature as it is and aim for the same cooking time.

Personally though I'd go with the maple syrup rather than sugar or xylitol.

Funny this came up. I'm trying to replicate an Indian dish, sweet and spicy cauliflower. We had it again last night. It is amazing. I have it just about right. It contains a lot of maple syrup.
My first attempt was with frozen cauli. It didn't work.
Would It be better to use sugar?
I havnt bought caulis because they were $12.

Russ

Funny this came up. I'm trying to replicate an Indian dish, sweet and spicy cauliflower. We had it again last night. It is amazing. I have it just about right. It contains a lot of maple syrup.
My first attempt was with frozen cauli. It didn't work.
Would It be better to use sugar?
I havnt bought caulis because they were $12.

Russ
Sugar and maple syrup are different flavours so it will depend totally on what flavour you are trying to replicate. Given the cost of cauliflower in NZ, I'm not sure I'd be experimenting with different flavour profiles.
That said Indian dishes would often use jaggery or similar, so I'd use coconut sugar or palm sugar if I couldn't get jaggery (luckily I always have some in) rather than maple syrup or cane sugar.

They are only AUD $3.90 here for a white cauliflower at the moment. Quite large as well.

Sugar and maple syrup are different flavours so it will depend totally on what flavour you are trying to replicate. Given the cost of cauliflower in NZ, I'm not sure I'd be experimenting with different flavour profiles.
That said Indian dishes would often use jaggery or similar, so I'd use coconut sugar or palm sugar if I couldn't get jaggery (luckily I always have some in) rather than maple syrup or cane sugar.

They are only AUD $3.90 here for a white cauliflower at the moment. Quite large as well.

Caulis have dropped a lot recently so I can try it.
I have jaggery here as a back up, have done for years.
I saw rick Stein in India with it being made. Amazing.
Thanks

Russ

Thanks all. How much is frozen cauliflower as opposed to fresh?

Thanks all. How much is frozen cauliflower as opposed to fresh?
That'll depend on which UK supermarket you want be to quote. Lol.

(Frozen it is retailing for $11/kg in 500g bags of florets only. I use stalks, so am quite happy to buy fresh cauliflower provided they don't go too much above $6 for a reasonable sized one. Cauliflower and lettuce have been badly hit in the last 12-18 months with flooding and prices have been as high as $11 a single cauliflower. We bought broccoli instead! )

Back
Top Bottom