Recipe Banana Ketchup

karadekoolaid

Legendary Member
Local time
7:23 PM
I mentioned mushroom ketchup on the Cookingbites Challenge, and LadyXCII asked me for a recipe. Alas, I have never made it (although I have tried it), but I have made this one, with certain success, once you get over the psychological barrier of using bananas in a savoury sauce. It originated in the Phillipines and a friend, and owner of several successful reataurants in Caracas, asked me to make some for him. It certainly makes a change from good old Heinz!
This recipe makes a fair amount, so you may want to scale it down for home use.
Banana Ketchup
1 large onion, chopped
8 fat cloves garlic
4 tbsps (about 60 gms) tomato paste
5 ripe bananas ( about 750 gms)
1 cup (about 225 mls) white wine vinegar
1 cup (about 225 mls) water
310 gms sugar - brown sugar if you like
5 fresh Thai chiles
A pinch each of (ground) cloves, cinnamon, allspice and black pepper
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp smoked paprika
3 tbsps salt
Method
  1. Roughly chop the onion, cut up the garlic and fresh chiles and mash the bananas.
  2. Place all the ingredients in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Lower to medium and cook through until the onions are soft.
  3. In a food processor or blender, blend the mixture until you have a smooth paste, adjusting the seasoning if necessary and/or adding a little more vinegar to achieve the right consistency.
  4. Bottle in sterilised jars/ketchup bottles.

I mentioned mushroom ketchup on the Cookingbites Challenge, and LadyXCII asked me for a recipe. Alas, I have never made it (although I have tried it), but I have made this one, with certain success, once you get over the psychological barrier of using bananas in a savoury sauce. It originated in the Phillipines and a friend, and owner of several successful reataurants in Caracas, asked me to make some for him. It certainly makes a change from good old Heinz!
This recipe makes a fair amount, so you may want to scale it down for home use.
Banana Ketchup
1 large onion, chopped
8 fat cloves garlic
4 tbsps (about 60 gms) tomato paste
5 ripe bananas ( about 750 gms)
1 cup (about 225 mls) white wine vinegar
1 cup (about 225 mls) water
310 gms sugar - brown sugar if you like
5 fresh Thai chiles
A pinch each of (ground) cloves, cinnamon, allspice and black pepper
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp smoked paprika
3 tbsps salt
Method
  1. Roughly chop the onion, cut up the garlic and fresh chiles and mash the bananas.
  2. Place all the ingredients in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Lower to medium and cook through until the onions are soft.
  3. In a food processor or blender, blend the mixture until you have a smooth paste, adjusting the seasoning if necessary and/or adding a little more vinegar to achieve the right consistency.
  4. Bottle in sterilised jars/ketchup bottles.

Interesting. What would you eat this with? I mean would you put it on chips, burgers, sausages etc.

Typically, Phillipine households use it on omelettes, hot dogs, hamburgers, french fries, fish, charcoal-grilled pork barbecue and chicken skewers, fried chicken and other meats. I even saw ( although have never tried) a plate of spaghetti with banana ketchup.
It´s certainly good with anything BBQed!

Back
Top Bottom