Recipe Banana Nut Bread

Lynne Guinne

Veteran
Local time
7:13 AM
This recipe was my Mom's. As a rebellious newlywed and beyond, I was determined to find a banana bread recipe I liked better than my Mom's. After Mom died, I decided that hers had been the best after all. After years of searching through her recipe card boxes, her books, her binders... Well, I finally found it. Yes, definitely the best. Trust me, it's really that good.

Ingredients
1/2 cup shortening (butter, margarine, or "Crisco")* (100 grams)
1 cup sugar (can use sugar substitute such as Splenda)** (200 grams)
2 eggs
3 ripe bananas, mashed
1/2 tsp salt ( 2.84 grams)
1/2 tsp baking soda (3 grams)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder (6 grams)
2 cups flour, sifted (200 grams)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts, optional (58.5 grams)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

Grease bottom only of loaf pan. I use a non-stick metal pan, not a dark metal.

Cream butter or margarine with sugar.
Add slightly beaten eggs; add mashed bananas.
Sift dry ingredients together. Add to mixing bowl slowly until combined.
Fold in nuts.
Bake at 325 (160 C/Mark 3) for about an hour. Test and bake to 200-205 (93-96 C) internal temperature.

Notes

* I use half unsalted butter and half quality margarine for the shortening
**I use half granulated sugar and half Splenda (a sugar substitute) for the sweetener

I cream the sugar/eggs, then add the rest of the moist ingredients to the bowl of a stand mixer. I then add the flour, etc, to the stand mixing bowl.

This recipe was my Mom's. As a rebellious newlywed and beyond, I was determined to find a banana bread recipe I liked better than my Mom's. After Mom died, I decided that hers had been the best after all. After years of searching through her recipe card boxes, her books, her binders... Well, I finally found it. Yes, definitely the best. Trust me, it's really that good.

Ingredients
1/2 cup shortening (butter, margarine, or "Crisco")* (100 grams)
1 cup sugar (can use sugar substitute such as Splenda)** (200 grams)
2 eggs
3 ripe bananas, mashed
1/2 tsp salt ( 2.84 grams)
1/2 tsp baking soda (3 grams)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder (6 grams)
2 cups flour, sifted (200 grams)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts, optional (58.5 grams)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

Grease bottom only of loaf pan. I use a non-stick metal pan, not a dark metal.

Cream butter or margarine with sugar.
Add slightly beaten eggs; add mashed bananas.
Sift dry ingredients together. Add to mixing bowl slowly until combined.
Fold in nuts.
Bake at 325 (160 C/Mark 3) for about an hour. Test and bake to 200-205 (93-96 C) internal temperature.

Notes

* I use half unsalted butter and half quality margarine for the shortening
**I use half granulated sugar and half Splenda (a sugar substitute) for the sweetener

I cream the sugar/eggs, then add the rest of the moist ingredients to the bowl of a stand mixer. I then add the flour, etc, to the stand mixing bowl.
With the exception of the baking powder and walnuts, you just posted my Aunt Linda's recipe.
She didn't use baking powder and did use pecans.

@Cinisajoy, I suppose there are a limited amount of versions to any one particular recipe. Doesn't surprise me that it's similar to someone else's. I think the reason this recipe's banana bread tastes the best is because I make it using my Mom's old, 1950s Oster Kitchen Center!

Pecans are ubiquitous to the south. Mom actually used black walnuts that we would forage. I have some black walnut pieces I spirited back with me from OH, since they don't seem to be available in MA. We decided that we like the English walnuts in this better.

@Cinisajoy, I suppose there are a limited amount of versions to any one particular recipe. Doesn't surprise me that it's similar to someone else's. I think the reason this recipe's banana bread tastes the best is because I make it using my Mom's old, 1950s Oster Kitchen Center!

Pecans are ubiquitous to the south. Mom actually used black walnuts that we would forage. I have some black walnut pieces I spirited back with me from OH, since they don't seem to be available in MA. We decided that we like the English walnuts in this better.
Totally cool on the kitchen center. I have my mom's 1968 Oster Blender and her 1968 Kenmore sewing machine.

I have a Kenmore sewing machine, too. It's mine, and Mom and Dad got it for me when I was taking "Home Arts" in high school...in 1966. :ohmy: Lordy, I'm old!

I have a Kenmore sewing machine, too. It's mine, and Mom and Dad got it for me when I was taking "Home Arts" in high school...in 1966. :ohmy: Lordy, I'm old!
My mother was supposed to be a senior in high school in 1966. She decided mother sounded better.

Back
Top Bottom