Recipe Banana pudding

Local time
7:38 AM
I have never made banana pudding; I am more familiar with banana bread which is a lot simpler, in my opinion. However, I think banana pudding would make a very nice dessert.

Ingredients:
4 large eggs
3/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon plus a pinch salt
2 cups whole milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
30 to 40 vanilla wafers
3 to 4 medium ripe bananas

Method:
Separate the yolks from the whites of 3 of the eggs; set aside the whites. Add the remaining whole egg to the yolks.

In a saucepan, whisk together 1/2 cup sugar, the flour and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Stir in the whole egg and 3 yolks, and then stir in the milk. Cook uncovered, stirring often, until the mixture thickens, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla.

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.

Spread a thin layer of the pudding in a 1 1/2-quart casserole dish. Arrange a layer of vanilla wafers on top of the pudding. Thinly slice the bananas crosswise, about 1/8 inch thick, and arrange a layer of banana slices over the wafers. Spread one-third of the remaining pudding over the bananas and continue layering wafers, bananas and pudding, ending with pudding.

To make the meringue, beat the reserved egg whites with a pinch of salt until they are stiff. Gradually beat in the remaining 1/4 cup sugar and continue beating until the whites will not slide out of the mixing bowl when it is tilted.

Spread the meringue over the pudding with a spatula, making a few decorative peaks on top, and bake until the meringue is lightly browned, 5 minutes.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSzuIxZdJCLw3IBVswIzQnVdEnM3PRitFRDZxSUkv98Dw9sBK2ZzA.jpg

This looks great! It's like if a banana cream pie married a meringue pie! Being that bananas are my absolute favorite in desserts I shall now have to break my rule and make this. :) I will have to go look for those vanilla wafers. Are those the same as those lady fingers we use for tiramisu? Those are the only things I remember seeing at the supermarket.

This looks great! It's like if a banana cream pie married a meringue pie! Being that bananas are my absolute favorite in desserts I shall now have to break my rule and make this. :) I will have to go look for those vanilla wafers. Are those the same as those lady fingers we use for tiramisu? Those are the only things I remember seeing at the supermarket.

The recipe is from: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/trisha-yearwood/banana-pudding.html and you can watch a video of how to make it, there. I don't think the wafers could possibly be the same as the Ladies Fingers or Boudoir Biscuits we use in Tiramisu - as it says in the recipe to use 30 to 40 of them! :D

I guess I'll have to watch the video and report back on what the wafers look like! Off I go...

Please, guys, can you credit recipes taken from other websites.

Wel... I can't get the video to play on my computer so I'm none the wiser regarding vanilla wafers! More research required.:happy:

I have never made banana pudding; I am more familiar with banana bread which is a lot simpler, in my opinion. However, I think banana pudding would make a very nice dessert.

Ingredients:
4 large eggs
3/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon plus a pinch salt
2 cups whole milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
30 to 40 vanilla wafers
3 to 4 medium ripe bananas

Method:
Separate the yolks from the whites of 3 of the eggs; set aside the whites. Add the remaining whole egg to the yolks.

In a saucepan, whisk together 1/2 cup sugar, the flour and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Stir in the whole egg and 3 yolks, and then stir in the milk. Cook uncovered, stirring often, until the mixture thickens, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla.

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.

Spread a thin layer of the pudding in a 1 1/2-quart casserole dish. Arrange a layer of vanilla wafers on top of the pudding. Thinly slice the bananas crosswise, about 1/8 inch thick, and arrange a layer of banana slices over the wafers. Spread one-third of the remaining pudding over the bananas and continue layering wafers, bananas and pudding, ending with pudding.

To make the meringue, beat the reserved egg whites with a pinch of salt until they are stiff. Gradually beat in the remaining 1/4 cup sugar and continue beating until the whites will not slide out of the mixing bowl when it is tilted.

Spread the meringue over the pudding with a spatula, making a few decorative peaks on top, and bake until the meringue is lightly browned, 5 minutes.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSzuIxZdJCLw3IBVswIzQnVdEnM3PRitFRDZxSUkv98Dw9sBK2ZzA.jpg

That looks GOOD!!

Yeah, I've made it many times, and would love to do it again soon!

Our mom did it a lot when we were kids, and we LOVED it to death!! I might do it for a desert to have after a Sunday dinner! :wink:

Last edited:
I couldnt find any vanilla wafers that resembled those in the picture. So I used a biscuit base I mixed with butter but followed the rest of the recipe. I made the base thicker too so it wouldn't be soggy as well. This one turned out delicious. I'm going to make this for a get together coming up next weekend. I have some banana liquor that needs using up!

Great recipe!

Banana Pudding..jpg

There is nothing quite like using the original Nilla Vanilla Wafers in banana pudding!

Anything else just won't do it for me. :wink:

Last edited:
Well you have the answer (see @Shermie 's post. They are Nilla Vanilla Wafers. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nilla
I've not come across them here in the UK...

As much as I like bananas in several things I don't know i am going to love this. It looks good, but..........

We also make banana pudding, however, our recipe is different.
We cook finely mashed banana in milk, add cream, cardamom, coconut slices, dates, almonds, cashews and sugar. The pudding will be ready in 10 minutes.

As much as I like bananas in several things I don't know i am going to love this. It looks good, but..........

I am trying to guess what comes after the 'but.' I guess you think it may be a bit too much on the sweet side for you. Most of these pies tend to be loaded with sugar. The recipe contains bananas which have their own sweetness, as well as wafers - also sweet. Then sugar is also added to the mix. I suppose it can be made like banana bread where no sugar is added (at least in my case). The bananas and raisins tend to make the banana bread sweet enough in my opinion. In fact, it turns out to be just kind of light sweet.

This desert IS exceptionally sweet.

It is meant to be that way. Primarily because all of the four things used to make it have sugar in them. I'm quite sure that anyone who makes it, does not eat it every single day of the year.

Frankly, I can't see making this desert if it isn't sweet. And when it comes out of the oven after the meringue has browned lightly, the wafers themselves become soft like a cake, making it that much more enjoyable and pleasing to the palate!!

It has been a very long time since I made or had banana pudding, so I wouldn't mind doing it for a Sunday desert soon. :wink:

Last edited:
Went out and bought some of these nilla wafers. I had some kind of inspiration and made this same recipe in a bigger cupcake pan in individual servings! I forgot to take a picture because we had company over. Nothing was left! So saving this recipe!

Back
Top Bottom