Recipe Banana Tea, anyone?

JoanMcWench

Veteran
Local time
4:10 AM
I am a huge fan of this process:

Take a banana (Organic is best for this process)
Cut off the top & bottom ends. About an inch.
Boil a pot of water & toss in the banana

Epically simple banana tea! Now, I know this can be made without the banana left inside & solely using the peels but I have found I love to eat the flesh of the banana with the tea. A dash of fresh ground nutmeg & cinnamon stick, you have something to sit with & watch your stories. :popcorn:

This is the first time I heard of this banana tea. I love eating bananas and maybe I will try doing this one and it looks like a refreshing tea. Thanks for sharing.

I have never thought of making an infusion from a banana. I'm more interested in the fact that this can also be made from the peel, without the fruit inside.That would be a great way to use all parts of the fruit and gain nutrition from the peel.

If you make this tea from a peeled banana, surely it must require mashing or pulping first? Or do you eat the banana whole after you have consumed the tea?

@JaonMcWench, can I ask what is your nationality or where your roots stem from? You have a lot of interesting recipes I have never heard of before!

Would you puree the banana into the tea, or eat it in chunks? Does it change consistency when sitting in hot water like that? I have never heard of this.

Banana, nutmeg and cinnamon does sound like a delicious combination. The drink does seem a little strange though - maybe because we are usually used to bananas being used in much thicker drinks like smoothies and milkshakes.

If you make this tea from a peeled banana, surely it must require mashing or pulping first? Or do you eat the banana whole after you have consumed the tea?

No, not quite. Let's say you're making organic banana bread & you have peels left over. You would just take these peels & toss them into boiling water to pull the nutrients & start the tea. The only real difference between making the tea with the banana inside is when there is not a banana you lose the natural sweetness it provides the tea.

@JaonMcWench, can I ask what is your nationality or where your roots stem from? You have a lot of interesting recipes I have never heard of before!

Would you puree the banana into the tea, or eat it in chunks? Does it change consistency when sitting in hot water like that? I have never heard of this.

Hey, thanks. My roots are quite eclectic. I wasn't really taught by anyone growing up how to cook it was something done out of necessity because we were rather poor & when I grew up I was well off enough to travel.

As for the banana? I slit it lengthwise & scoop out the banana with a spoon. Careful, it's quite hot. You can dress it with whatever you like:: honey, jam, or (as I do) eat it straight. The consistency is like a thick custard or wet dumpling. The only way the taste of the banana is really affected is that it's a tad less sweet. Though that doesn't really bother me. There has been the occasion I have used it as a spread on cinnamon raisin bread. Mmm...

I make banana "tea" for use in my garden by putting peels in water and leaving it to "steep" for a week or two. I had no idea you could make a tea to drink, though it makes total sense as it would be a good way to get potassium. I may start saving some dried peel for that use. I can't see any benefit in using the actual banana for tea though. I'd rather just eat it or put it in a smoothie.

Back
Top Bottom