Baptismal

Corzhens

Veteran
Local time
12:27 PM
For Christians like us, the baptismal rites of the child is big deal. There are godfathers and godmothers to act as second parents to the baptized baby. And after the church ceremonies, a banquet follows. When the reception is held at home, neighbors would be helping in tending the kitchen. There will be a lechon, the star of dining over here. Aside from the balloons and other trimmings, the food is served to everyone. For the dessert, there are cupcakes that are now getting popular in baptismal celebrations.

For Christians like us, the baptismal rites of the child is big deal. There are godfathers and godmothers to act as second parents to the baptized baby. And after the church ceremonies, a banquet follows. When the reception is held at home, neighbors would be helping in tending the kitchen. There will be a lechon, the star of dining over here. Aside from the balloons and other trimmings, the food is served to everyone. For the dessert, there are cupcakes that are now getting popular in baptismal celebrations.
Blimey, the cupcakes have come to the Philippines too! I can't see the appeal, personally. Its all about cute decorations not taste (I'm sure someone may contest this!). But the lechon is bound to be good. We don't often get that much here. At least, not anywhere near as much as in the Spanish speaking countries. Poor delicious little suckling pig... :ohmy:

Blimey, the cupcakes have come to the Philippines too! I can't see the appeal, personally. Its all about cute decorations not taste (I'm sure someone may contest this!). But the lechon is bound to be good. We don't often get that much here. At least, not anywhere near as much as in the Spanish speaking countries. Poor delicious little suckling pig... :ohmy:

You are right on that - lechon is still the best particularly that one called lechon de leche that is the suckling pig. And with the cupcakes, you are right again that it is the decoration that counts and not much of the taste. They say that a big cake, except in weddings, is not that fasionable anymore because cupcake makes it convenient for guests to take from the buffet table and even convenient for taking home. In the debut of my niece, the cupcakes were for giveaways.

This sounds like a nice feast. I do like cupcakes, but am pretty tired of all the hype over them. It seems everyone gets on one kick, then that's all we hear about for a year, until a new fad strikes. I love whole cakes, and it's really not that difficult to slice one up and serve it on plates. Everyone's in such a rush these days. Celebrations are meant to be enjoyed and savored, not rushed. Some people aren't even getting wedding cakes anymore, just a pile of cupcakes. That's so much less meaningful to me than having one whole food item that is shared. The point of a celebration is interconnectedness, giving to others, coming from a whole, etc. O.k., I'm off on a tangent :meh:. Anyway, that wasn't about YOUR celebration, but the idea in general. Baptisms are called Christenings here, and the ceremony itself is called a baptism or Christening (becoming a Christian), and I still remember my Goddaughter's, even though it's been about 18 years :scratchhead::stop:. Where has the time gone?

Baptisms in the UK are a missed occasion from a bolt on ceremony at the end of morning service to a full blown service,
At the restaurant we are getting more requests for christening after party style events from canapés and bubbles to good old afternoon tea,We have always taken our god parents duty serious and keep a eye on 2 of our gods sons out as they lost their mum a couple of years ago ,though 3 of our God children are now over 18 it still means some thing to us

Baptisms in the UK are a missed occasion from a bolt on ceremony at the end of morning service to a full blown service,
At the restaurant we are getting more requests for christening after party style events from canapés and bubbles to good old afternoon tea,We have always taken our god parents duty serious and keep a eye on 2 of our gods sons out as they lost their mum a couple of years ago ,though 3 of our God children are now over 18 it still means some thing to us
@Berties are the requests for catering, or does the party actually come to the restaurant? It seems more and more here are availing themselves of catering services, and are going whole hog, with renting the large tents, etc., but our Christening after parties were usually either at the church hall, or the home. I feel the same, especially since my Goddaughter is also my niece. We always had special relationships with our Godparents in my family.

@Berties are the requests for catering, or does the party actually come to the restaurant? It seems more and more here are availing themselves of catering services, and are going whole hog, with renting the large tents, etc., but our Christening after parties were usually either at the church hall, or the home. I feel the same, especially since my Goddaughter is also my niece. We always had special relationships with our Godparents in my family.
The restaurant has two function suites and we take on the whole after christening party
Some people seem to out do each other , bottles of fizz, entertainers
Dressed buffet

The restaurant has two function suites and we take on the whole after christening party
Some people seem to out do each other , bottles of fizz, entertainers
Dressed buffet

Do you know that garden parties are becoming popular here? Example is the baptismal of a baby. There is a caterer that serves food in the patio of the church. So the guests need not leave for the restaurant because the reception is held right there in the church patio or garden. I had attended one baptismal like that and it's good because the hassle on the street traffic is avoided. So we left after lunch with a full tummy.

Back
Top Bottom