Recipe Barbacoa beef roast

cupcakechef

Veteran
Local time
12:58 PM
Japan (expat by way of Australia and USA)
I love love love Barbacoa beef in burritos and salads - when I'm at a Mexican restaurant it's the go-to thing that I order. I finally bit the bullet today and made some from a recipe I found online in my slow cooker today and it turned out amazing.

If you're interested the recipe is as follows:

INGREDIENTS

4 pound chuck roast
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
5 large garlic cloves, minced
4 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons oregano
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon kosher salt
3/4 cup chicken stock
3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
3 to 4 chipotle chiles in adobo (add more if you want more heat)
2 bay leaves

DIRECTIONS
  1. Trim most of the fat from the chuck roast. Cut the roast into 6 to 8 large pieces, pat dry with paper towels, and season with 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
  2. Heat a large, heavy-bottomed stainless steel or cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Add in 2 tablespoons of vegetable to coat the bottom of the pan. Allow the oil to heat the pan for a few seconds. Use tongs to gently place the pieces of chuck roast into the skillet leaving a couple of inches between each piece of meat. The meat will sizzle and stick to the bottom of the pan — this is a good thing. Once the meat is seared on the first side, it will release from the pan with ease. Repeat the process to sear all sides of the meat. Remove the seared meat from the pan and place into a slow cooker set to high heat.
  3. In a blender, add apple cider vinegar, garlic, cumin, oregano, cloves, black pepper, kosher salt, chicken stock, lime juice, and chipotle chiles. Blend the sauce on medium speed until smooth. Pour the sauce over the seared meat, and stir to coat. Add in bay leaves and cover. Cook on high heat for 6 hours (or low for 10). Shred beef, return the beef to sauce, stir to coat, and serve.

Back
Top Bottom