Recipe Basic Cauliflower Cheese

Yorky

RIP 21/01/2024
Local time
6:08 AM
Ingredients.

1 Medium cauliflower, cut into flowerettes.
1 pat Butter
150 ml Milk
2 tblsp Flour
1 tsp English mustard powder
80 gm Cheddar cheese, grated
Salt and black pepper

cauliflowercheese.jpg

Method

Boil the cauliflower in salted water for about 5 minutes and drain.

Melt the butter in a saucepan and stir in the flour then slowly add the milk stirring continuously. Bring to the boil then add the mustard powder. Add the grated cheese and stir until smooth. Simmer over a very low light for 3 minutes.

Place the cauliflower in an ovenproof dish and pour over the sauce. Season then grill until browned in spots.

[Edit: I just came back to this recipe today because I'm cooking it today. Where 15 gms of cheese originated, I don't know. I've changed it to 80 gms]

Last edited:
Melt the butter in a saucepan and stir in the flour then slowly add the milk stirring continuously. Bring to the boil then add the mustard powder. Add the grated cheese and stir until smooth. Simmer over a very low light for 3 minutes.

I no longer prepare the sauce in this manner. I add the cold milk to a small pan and then the butter and sieved flour. Slowly bring to the boil whisking continually until the sauce thickens then add the grated cheese. I add the mustard and season at this point then simmer for 3 minutes.

I found this method generally avoids lumps.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom