Recipe Basic white bread (simple one-rise method)

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
11:05 AM
Here's a really basic white bread. I've tried to make it as simple and clear as possible for anyone who has never made bread before!

Ingredients:
  • 500g (18 oz) Strong White Bread Flour (U.S. Bread Flour or Bakery Flour).*
  • 7g (1/4 oz) sachet of Instant Yeast (US: Fast Rising, Rapid Rise, Quick Rise)**
  • 10g (1/3oz or 2 Tsp) Salt
  • Approx. 250ml (8 fl.oz or 1 cup) Luke warm water***
Method:
  • Put dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and add water gradually whilst mixing with a metal spoon or your hand.
  • As soon as mixture comes together & starts to clear the sides of the bowl, turn it onto a floured surface. It will be quite sticky. Flour your hands.
  • Start kneading dough by stretching the dough and then folding it on itself and pushing it away from you with the palms of your hands. Repeat this movement, turning it as you go and building up a rhythm. Use more flour if it sticks but keep this to a minimum. (see link to kneading demo below)
  • Knead for about 10 minutes (its a good work-out!). When done the dough will be smooth and elastic.
  • Leave dough as it is, or shape with your hands as desired.
  • Put dough onto an oiled non-stick baking sheet (or use baking parchment).
  • Slash the top with a really sharp knife and dust with flour (optional). Cover very loosely with with cling film.
  • Leave it well alone for two to six hours (longer if you have a freezing kitchen!). It will double in size.
  • Remove cling and bake for 35 mins at 190C (375F, Gas 5).
* In US use AP flour if you can't get Bread flour
** Fleishmann's Rapid Rise in US
*** Amount of water varies with type of flour, so you may need more or less.

How to knead:
http://bread.wonderhowto.com/how-to/knead-bread-dough-by-hand-355638/

Last edited:
The recipe works for other types of flour too. This was intended as a basic recipe for beginners to bread making. I was trying to make it really clear and simple to follow. In doing so, I've discovered that its really quite difficult to write out recipes succinctly and clearly!

My garden has finally decided to take off this summer and after what seemed like endless weeks of no growth (and severe drought on my part, oops) my tomatoes and herbs are finally bouncing back.

I can tell my rosemary plant is about to get big. I never use rosemary.

So I was thinking about baking it into some homemade bread. I'm guessing this recipe is basic enough that I could add almost anything (flavor-wise) and still come out with an okay result? Any thoughts....?

You could certainly add rosemary. You need to chop it finely though, or you will end up with inedible needles spiking your dough. Add it at the very beginning along with the dry ingredients. I wouldn't add more than 1 and a half tablespoons, as its very pungent.

My garden has finally decided to take off this summer and after what seemed like endless weeks of no growth (and severe drought on my part, oops) my tomatoes and herbs are finally bouncing back.

I can tell my rosemary plant is about to get big. I never use rosemary.

So I was thinking about baking it into some homemade bread. I'm guessing this recipe is basic enough that I could add almost anything (flavor-wise) and still come out with an okay result? Any thoughts....?
Incidentally I made a rosemary sourdough foccia today.
www.cookingbites.com/threads/rosemary-garlic-sourdough-foccia.5124/

Back
Top Bottom