Recipe Basil gnocchi with cherry heirloom tomato sauce

medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
1:37 PM
full.jpg

Basil gnocchi with cherry heirloom tomato sauce
2-3 servings depending on who's eating

We really liked this. I have to say I was a little worried about adding fresh basil to gnocchi dough, was afraid it would add moisture with the need for more flour, but, nope. In fact, these were some of the best gnocchi I've ever made, not gummy, not heavy, in fact very, very light.

Gnocchi
2 large baking potatoes (close to a pound each)
1 cup fresh basil, loosely packed
1/2 to 2/3 cup AP flour, divided
2 egg whites
1 egg yolk
3/4 tsp salt

Directions
Bake potatoes on the oven rack at 375 for an hour or so until soft. Immediately upon removing from oven, cut them in half lengthwise and allow to cool for a few minutes. Peel off skin or scoop out flesh and place through a ricer. Spread out on a cutting board and allow to cool for a few minutes, then place in a large bowl.

Meanwhile, place 1/4 cup flour in a food processor or blender and half of the basil. Process until basil is finally chopped. Add to potatoes. Place 2 egg whites and 1 yolk in the food processor or blender with remaining basil and process until basil is finely chopped. Add to potato/flour mixture. Add salt. Combine, adding more flour as necessary until you have a soft and just slightly sticky dough. Turn out onto a floured board and knead a few times until dough is smooth, soft, and just very, very slightly sticky.

Divide dough into 4 equal portions and set 3 aside. Roll the fourth portion out into a log about 1 inch in diameter. (I roll into a thick log, then cut in half and work each half down to an inch separately.) Cut the log into about 3/4 inch long pieces with a knife or pastry cutter. Using a gnocchi board or back of a fork, roll dough so that there is a slight fingertip imprint on 1 side and grooves on the other (please note, picture of gnocchi board is from a different batch, used for illustrative purposes only). Set aside on a floured silpat or parchment paper in a single layer. Repeat until all gnocchi are formed.

full.jpg

37240-albums1042-picture6509-jpg.jpg

Bring a large shallow pot of water to a shimmer while you are rolling the gnocchi. Add a good few pinches of salt. Prepare a bowl with ice and water to shock the gnocchi to stop them cooking. Place 1/3 to 1/4 of the gnocchi in the pot (don't crowd) and allow to cook until they float. If necessary, gently use a spoon if some stick to the bottom. Remove the gnocchi with a slotted spoon as soon as they float and place them into the ice water. Remove all the current batch of gnocchi from the boiling water. Then, remove the gnocchi from the ice water and place on paper towels to drain. Repeat until all gnocchi are cooked, shocked and drained. Remove from the paper towels and place on a clean silpat or parchment paper.
full.jpg

If you are using the gnocchi within a short amount of time, they can remain as they are. If it is going to be several hours before they are used, lightly coat them with EVOO, cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator.

Sauce
1/4 cup pine nuts
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup sweet onions, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup dry white wine
ground black pepper
Kosher salt
12 ounces cherry heirloom tomatos halved or quartered depending on size
3 Tbsp basil chiffonade

Parmigiano reggiano for garnish

Directions
In a large skillet, toast pine nuts until they start to turn golden brown. Remove and place into a small bowl. Set aside.

Heat pan over medium heat. Add oil. Add onions and cook several minutes until just starting to turn translucent. Add garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add white wine and cook for 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, salt and pepper to taste. Cook until tomatoes just start to soften, 2 minutes at most. Add gnocchi and warm through. Add basil chiffonade and pine nuts. Place in bowls, garnish with grated cheese. Serve.

Last edited:
I really like this. And great that you showed some 'step' photos.

Meanwhile, place 1/4 cup flour in a food processor or blender and half of the basil. Process until basil is finally chopped.

This is clever - I would have chopped the basil by hand but I reckon this method is not only easier but makes sure all the basil juice/flavour is held.

Back
Top Bottom