Batter for fish?

Sandman

Veteran
Local time
6:37 PM
For a while now I've been wanting to fry some fish, like Hake or Trout, but I don't know how to make a batter for fish. Any good ideas, methods or recipies? What should I keep in mind? Is it anything like making crumbed chicken? Any help will be muchly appreciated.

I guess my family isn't very fancy - because we just use a very basic batter for fish that one could use for almost anything. We do an egg/milk mixture which we dip the fish in, then shake it up in flour with a little bit of salt. You could definitely add or subtract things to that method to make something else you'll enjoy - different seasoning/spices, adding beer to the liquid mixture instead of milk or something...

I'll see if I can find the one we use, but it is basically flour, vinegar, water & bicarbonate of soda. It works really well... will try to locate it for you.
Thanks, that would be great! I have been aching for some fish.

Its quite a simple recipe.
2/3 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
1 tablespoon vinegar
2/3 cup water

Sift dry ingredients, add wet and mix well. Dry fish/veg whatever you are putting the batter onto, dip into batter and fry.

I also have a recipe for a beer batter as well which is quite tasty.
200g plain flour
½ teaspoon golden caster sugar
330ml bottle full-bodied beer (any type)

Mix ingredients and get on with it.

:thumbsup:Great!:thumbsup: Thanks a mil SatNavSaysStraightOn. I'll give it a try when I get my hands on some nice fresh fish again and come and post on how it turned out. It will be my first time making it so yeah, hopefully I don't do too bad.:)

I use it with veg (being vegan + eggs) so don't discount things like aubergine and courgette and many other veg that can be batter dipped for a change.
Ah ok, I like meat way too much to become vegan, but what I actually wanted to say is that I've made crumbed mushrooms but havent actually tried using batter's and crumb mixtures on other veggies, interesting.:woot::wink:

Back
Top Bottom