Recipe Bayoubaisse

medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
7:37 PM
Bayoubaisse copycat recipe from Muriel's in NOLA. I came up with this recipe after watching a Food Paradise Halloween episode featuring the restaurant due to it reportedly having a ghost haunting. I've never eaten the dish at the restaurant, but watched the chef prepare it on the show and listened to the description. We liked it a lot. The recipe includes a couple of tweaks that we think will make it even better and I may still make a few more.

4 servings

full.jpg

Ingredients
7 oz medium shrimp (total shrimp in recipe about 12 oz, shelled and cleaned, reserve shells)
12 mussels
1 cup lump crab meat, picked through to check for shell pieces
3/4 cup chopped andouille, (I quarter our homemade andouille.)
1 Tbsp chopped garlic
1 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp chopped parsley

Tip: If you use commercially made andouille, you might want to cook it just a bit before adding to the broth to render any excess grease. We make our own so use just enough fat to make the sausage taste good.

full.jpg

Bayoubaisse broth (see below)
Fish and shrimp balls (see below)

8 oz orzo, cooked as directed on box (I didn't use quite all of it when I added it to the pan.)

Heat a large heavy braiser pan over medium heat, add broth, garlic and andouille. Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Add mussels and cook for 2 minutes. Add shrimp and cook just until done and mussels open. Meanwhile, in a small skillet, melt butter and add crab and parsley, stir gently. Once shrimp and mussels are cooked, add the cooked orzo and fish/shrimp balls, and gently stir to mix. Serve in a large bowl and top with 2 Tbsp of crab. Serve.

Fish and shrimp balls

4.5 oz redfish, red snapper or similar fish, roughly chopped
4.5 oz medium shrimp, roughly chopped
3/4 tsp fresh tyme
1 tsp fresh parsley, quick chop
3 Tbsp shallots or sweet onion, minced finely
2-3 Tbsp heavy cream
1/2 to 3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper

full.jpg

Place all ingredients in a food processor and pulse to a paste, scraping sides from time to time. Start with 2 Tbsp cream and add additional if needed. Form into 12 equal size balls. Can be made several hours ahead, cover and refrigerate until ready to bake. Place on a greased baking sheet, parchment or silpat and bake at 375 for 15 minutes, turning about half way through. The balls should have just tiny hints of golden brown showing on them.

Bayoubaisse broth
1 Tbsp EVOO
1/2 cup onions, coarsely chopped
2 tsp fennel seeds, toasted
3 Tbsp tomato paste
3-4 cups shrimp stock (see below)
1/2 cup sweet vermouth
1/4 tsp cayenne
2-1/2 Tbsp good quality shrimp or seafood soup base
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Heat large saucepan over medium heat, add oil and onions, saute until onions are translucent, add toasted fennel seeds, stir. Add tomato paste and stir for a minute or 2. Add sweet vermouth, stir. Add broth, cayenne, salt, pepper, and soup base. Bring to a boil, turn down to simmer, cover and cook for 25-30 minutes. Strain through a fine mesh colander. Taste and adjust salt and pepper.

Shrimp stock
Shrimp shells
1 small stalk celery, roughly chopped
1 small carrot, roughly chopped
1/4 cup roughly chopped shallots or sweet onion

Place shrimp shellls in a medium pot, add remainder of ingredients, cover with 4-1/2 cups water, bring to a boil, turn down to simmer, cover and cook for 20-30 minutes. Strain. Set aside.

Last edited:
This dish sounds really sensational.

Heat a large heavy braiser pan over medium heat, add broth, garlic and andouille. Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Add mussels and cook for 2 minutes. Add shrimp and cook just until done and mussels open. Meanwhile, in a small skillet, melt butter and add crab and parsley, stir gently. Once shrimp and mussels are cooked, add the cooked orzo and gently stir to mix. Serve in a large bowl and top with 2 Tbsp of crab. Serve.

When do you add the fish balls?

Back
Top Bottom