2 cups ketchup
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup molasses
2 tablespoons red or white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon paprika or smoked paprika if available
Freshly ground black pepper

Wrap the bacon around the bunch of thyme and tie with kitchen twine so you have a nice bundle. Heat about 2 tablespoons of oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the thyme and cook slowly 3 to 4 minutes to render the bacon fat and give the sauce a nice smoky taste. Add the onion and garlic and cook slowly without coloring for 5 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients, give the sauce a stir, and turn the heat down to low. Cook slowly for 20 minutes to meld the flavors.

There are a lot of different styles of barbecue sauce, though. I also like mustard-based ones. 😋

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice recipe, Shermie, thanks. Generally speaking, North Americans seem to like smoky and sweet barbecue sauces more than North Europeans. I've also noticed that sesame oil with it´s deep, smoky flavor ins't very popular here. Chinese restaurateurs cut down on that spice for Finnish taste. Tomato & vinegar based sweet'n'sour BBQ-sauces with lots of pepper are the most popular here. Maybe it´s because we used to store our meat in plain salt back in the days that we prefer gentle seasoning.

Back
Top Bottom