Recipe BBQ Shrimp

CraigC

Guru
Local time
6:08 PM
The title is misleading as the shrimp/prawns are not cooked on the grill. "BBQ" in this case refers to the wonderful sauce created. This is one of the first dishes we made after making Emeril's Worcestershire sauce. The recipe is from Emeril Lagasse's "New New Orleans" cookbook. I will post his Southern biscuit recipe later.

BBQ Shrimp

Ingredients

2 pounds large shrimp, in their shells, 3 lbs if using "heads on" (It is much, much better if the shrimp are "heads on")
2 tablespoons Creole seasoning, recipe follows
Cracked black pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup chopped onions
2 tablespoons minced garlic
3 bay leaves
3 lemons, peeled and sectioned
2 cups water
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup dry white wine
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 cups heavy cream
2 tablespoons butter
Traditional southern Biscuits, recipe follows
1 tablespoon chopped chives

Directions
1) Peel the shrimp, leaving only their tails attached. Reserve the shells and set aside. Heads as well if using.
2) Sprinkle the shrimp with 1 tablespoon Creole seasoning and fresh cracked black pepper. Use you hands to coat the shrimp with the seasonings. Refrigerate the shrimp while you make the sauce base.
3) Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large pot over high heat.
4) When the oil is hot, add the onions and garlic and saute for 1 minute.
5) Add the reserved shrimp shells, the remaining Creole seasoning, the bay leaves, lemons, water, Worcestershire, wine, salt, and black pepper. Stir well and bring to a boil.
6) Reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
7) Remove from the heat, allow to cool for about 15 minutes. Strain into a small saucepan. There should be about 1 1/2 cups.
8) Place over high heat, bring to a boil, and cook until thick, syrupy, and dark brown, for about 15 minutes. Makes about 4 to 5 tablespoons of barbecue sauce base.
9) Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over high heat.
10) When the oil is hot, add the seasoned shrimp and saute them, occasionally shaking the skillet, for 2 minutes.
11) Add the cream and all of the barbecue base. Stir and simmer for 3 minutes.
12) Remove the shrimp to a warm platter with tongs.
13 Whisk the butter into the sauce. Remove from the heat.
14) Mound the shrimp in the center of a platter. Spoon the sauce over the shrimp and around the plate. Garnish with chopped chives. Serve with Southern biscuits.

Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
Ingredients
2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme
Combine all ingredients thoroughly.

Yield: 2/3 cup

Last edited:
That's just beautiful (judging from the photo in the other thread) and sounds delish. I know you are pretty busy, so thank you for sharing that recipe!

That's just beautiful (judging from the photo in the other thread) and sounds delish. I know you are pretty busy, so thank you for sharing that recipe!
You're welcome, but he posted that over 3 years ago. It's got great flavor.

I have only been around the forum for about 1 year, so I would never have found it.
I know you've not been around that long. There are a lot of good recipes on here. When you've got some spare time (I know, ha, ha) take a look around.

I have had to bookmark recipes because we make so many different things that I forget about them.

I sometimes do a search when looking for something I want to make but I don't find what I am looking for usually. I do better with Google, honestly.

I know you've not been around that long. There are a lot of good recipes on here. When you've got some spare time (I know, ha, ha) take a look around.
I probably have a lot more time than many people do, I eventually will go back to work...I think. Maybe. I dunno.

Back
Top Bottom