Recipe Bean and Vegetable Casserole with Savoury Herb Dumplings

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
8:05 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
OK, I'll confess now. I haven't made the Savoury Herb Dumplings this way for a long time, usually I just use a savoury scone mixture and add herbs to it, making more of a cobbler. But given that there is a certain competition going on and this is such an easy recipe that can be added to, mixed, matched and generally messed around with depending on what is or is not available, I thought that it was about time I added it to our database and well included it in the bean ingredient challenge.

So... We have had this recipe for donkey's years. I am pretty certain it came to us in freshman's week at polytechnic back in 1991. It came from a Marmite (not a compulsory ingredient, but a very useful source of the B vitamins) recipe pamphlet that has long since bitten the dust, but this recipe was kept. It was so easy and really nice.

We also serve this more as a soup/stew than a casserole. The only real difference is the volume of stock used. We have more than doubled the original 300ml suggestion and now use over a litre.

Mine had red pepper in it as well because I had one that needed to be used.

Ingredients
2 tbsp vegetable or sunflower oil (I'll admit, I drop this to 1 without issue)
2-4 cloves of garlic, crushed
450g (1lb) leeks sliced
2 large carrots, diced
225g (8oz) mushrooms, sliced, chopped or quartered. (just cut them up as you like them!)
1 * 400g can chopped tomatoes
2 × 400g tins mixed beans (or 1 chickpea and the other mixed beans or any bean you like really). Use unsalted and add the liquid to the stock content
2tsp Marmite (optional)
1tbsp paprika (sweet noble)
1l veg stock

For the Dumplings
125g (4oz) self raising flour
50g (2oz) veg suet
1-2 tsp mixed herbs
1tsp marmite (optional if you don't like it)
5-6 tbsp water to mix.

Method
  1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan.
  2. Add the leeks, carrots, mushrooms and garlic and cook until just starting to go tender.
  3. Now add the tomatoes, paprika, Marmite (if using), and enough stock (inc bean water) to liberally cover the veg.
  4. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 10 mins.
  5. Meanwhile, make the dumplings by combining all of the ingredients in a bowl, adding just enough water to make a firm dough and then divide that dough into 10 balls.
  6. Now stir the mixed beans/chickpeas to the casserole/stew/soup mix and season.
  7. Arrange the dumplings on the top of the casserole and simmer for another 10-15 mins. And yes the veg is rather well cooked, so if you like it less well cooked, make the chunks bigger and drop the cooking time of the initial simmer to 5 mins.
We tend to make the dumplings with a scone mixture, which is 8oz self raising flour, 2oz butter/marg, 1tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp mixed dried herbs, 1/2 tsp mustard powder (if available), 1 egg and enough milk to bind the mixture together. Treat the same way but make many smaller dumplings and cooking time will only be roughly 10-15 mins if they are small enough. I think I usually make around 16.

Bean and Vegetable Casserole with Savoury Herb Dumplings - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom