Bed Bath & Beyond About to Close its Stores for Good!!

GadgetGuy

(Formerly Shermie)
Local time
7:54 AM
They are selling off eveverything! Right down to the store fixtures & bare walls!! I went into the one that's near Fenway Park, expecting to look at the Vitamix blenders & there were NONE!! I might have bought one. Nothing!! Just several odds & ends!! That used to be my favorite store!! Now they're gone!!! What a shame!! Used to find EVERYTHING in there!! Now they are becoming a wall of death!! A good store chain gone down the drain!! 😱

They closed my local Bed Bath & Beyond earlier this year. I think the Coronapocalypse got them, but to be honest, I think it was merely the final nail in the coffin. BB&B's style of deep discounts was not a sustainable business practice, I should know, I worked at TigerDirect for 7 years until they went out of business.

Are they closing all of them, though? We used to have three within a 40-minute radius, two of them closed a little while ago, but one is still open.

I just checked the news headlines for BB&B, but I didn't read anything that says they're all closing.

Are they closing all of them, though? We used to have three within a 40-minute radius, two of them closed a little while ago, but one is still open.

I just checked the news headlines for BB&B, but I didn't read anything that says they're all closing.

There's a ton of them in Massachusetts, mainly in shopping malls or shopping centers, usually stand-alones. I think they are closing all over the USA. Wonder if covid has anything to do with it!! 😱

Found this on Google. Don't know if they are all closing, but there are a lot of them that are biting the dust this year alone!! I bought a lot of things from there!! Including my food processor!! 😱

Bed Bath & Beyond is closing more than 40 stores this year. Here's a map of where they are

Deja Vu all over again. Yes, they are paring down store count. They got too big, and are closing the least profitable stores. Those stores could be unprofitable because of low customer count, or because the rent on the store space is too high, or labor costs are too high -- or any number of things.

They had 1,400-plus stores, so it is not unusual to see a chain like that cut back. Their financials don't look that bad. Nothing like Sears or JC Penney. BB&B had over $7-Billion in assets before Covid, so they should have been able to weather that storm.

CD

Deja Vu all over again. Yes, they are paring down store count. They got too big, and are closing the least profitable stores. Those stores could be unprofitable because of low customer count, or because the rent on the store space is too high, or labor costs are too high -- or any number of things.

They had 1,400-plus stores, so it is not unusual to see a chain like that cut back. Their financials don't look that bad. Nothing like Sears or JC Penney. BB&B had over $7-Billion in assets before Covid, so they should have been able to weather that storm.

CD
That's my take on it as well. On line shopping and the advent of covid has exponentially forced people to engage that option.

If you look at it, most retail or department stores in Boston are closing up and moving, or have moved to the suburbs because the rent is too high in Boston, forcing those who want to shop to have to go further out to catch anything that might be on sale. You'll find this all along Route 9 in Wellsley, Natick & Framingham.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I went to the store near me in Frisco last week. It was almost empty. There just wasn't anything in there I needed or wanted.

CD

Drove by the one near me, but didn’t stop. Thought about it, but kept going.

Drove by the one near me, but didn’t stop. Thought about it, but kept going.

I get the impression that they have offloaded a bunch of stuff to liquidators. My store had entire sections that were empty, or close to it. All the kitchen tools, like spatulas and tongs, were gone.

CD

I get the impression that they have offloaded a bunch of stuff to liquidators. My store had entire sections that were empty, or close to it. All the kitchen tools, like spatulas and tongs, were gone.

CD

Looks like those items were probably the first things to go!!:headshake:

Back
Top Bottom