Recipe Beef in Oyster Sauce Flatbread Pockets

The Velvet Curtain

Forum GOD!
Local time
11:42 AM
Leicester: Where Britain keeps its crisps
This may seem a bit of a confusion of culinary styles, but it is my favourite invention.

20161229_130201.jpg

Ingredients:

Steak suitable for quick frying
Spring onions (scallions)
Lettuce
Tomato
Small flatbreads or pittas
Chinese Oyster sauce (the best quality you can find)
Light soy sauce
Shaohsing rice wine (optional)
Sesame oil
Cornflour

Method:
Thinly slice the beef then marinate in a tablespoon each of the rice wine, soy and cornflour with a dash of sesame oil.

20161229_124300.jpg

Chop up the spring onion, shred the lettuce and thinly slice the tomato, patting it dry with kitchen paper.

20161229_125038.jpg

Place the flatbreads in a low oven to warm through.
In a smoking hot wok stir fry the beef intil it is sealed, add the spring onions and continue to fry for another minute.

20161229_125625.jpg

Reduce the heat and add two tablespoons of oyster sauce, stirring to coat. The next bit depends on the oyster sauce you have used; if it is not very salty then add a splash of soy sauce, if it is then just use a tablespoon of water. Cook out until the sauce is sticky and coating the meat, a pinch of sugar may also be added to balance the flavour if needed.

20161229_125723.jpg

Lay the shredded lettuce and tomato in the flatbread pocket or pitta then dollop on the beef, serve immediately.

A vegetarian version using field mushrooms and black bean sauce also works very well. One day I will try prawns in sweet chilli glaze too.

Last edited:
This looks fantastic! And really well done for the step-by-step photos. I never seem to manage that! If you had bunged a bit of Marmite in then it could have been the winning entry in the Recipe Challenge! :D

Back
Top Bottom