1 cup plain flour
2 teasp cracked pepper
2 teasp paprika
Olive oil
2 onions
1 carrot
2 stalks celery
4 sprigs rosemary, leaves stripped from stem
1/2 cup chopped parsley (chop the stems as well but keep them separate from the leaves)
3 cloves garlic
200 ml red wine (a good hearty wine, like a Cabernet Sauvignon, Bordeaux or Rioja)
1cup beef stock
1 Tblsp tomato paste
1/2 cup beef stock extra (just in case)
500-750g potatoes thinly sliced
1/2 cup grated parmesan
1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs

Method:
Preheat oven to 160C / 320F / gas mark 2.8
Mix flour, pepper & paprika in a bowl
Heat a heavy based casserole pot over med-high heat. Cover the bottom of the pot with olive oil & bring to heat.
While oil is heating dredge diced beef in flour mix. I do it in batches - while one batch is cooking I start dredging the next batch. That way the flour doesn't become to clumpy on the meat.
Sear floured beef pieces (in batches) on all sides & remove to a separate bowl. It will take a few minutes for each batch.
Remove casserole dish from heat & let cool slightly then wipe out any badly burnt sediment (leave any 'good' crusty bits in for flavour
While pot is cooling dice onions, carrot & celery. Bring back to heat (add more oil if needed), then cook off onion mix until soft. Add a good pinch of salt.
Add garlic,
rosemary leaves
& chopped parsley stalks, & stir for 2-3 minutes. Add 1c of beef stock to deglaze pot & cook off for a few minutes. Add red wine & tomato paste & stir over heat until tom paste is incorporated. Add beef pieces (& any juices) & add more beef stock if necessary so liquid just covers beef.
Cook in the oven with the lid on for 1.5 hours, then take the lid off and cook for another hour.
Check the liquid content at this stage, if there's still a lot of liquid then cook for another 30 mins with the lid off (the liquid
should be a good thick gravy consistency, but not
liquid enough that you could drink it. It still needs to cook for a while yet so will still thicken/reduce over time).
Slice potatoes thinly. Remove pot from oven and stir through parsley (also check seasoning)
Place potato slices on top of beef in casserole dish and return to oven to cook for another 45 mins to an hour (with the lid off). The potatoes should by crisping up around the edges.
Sprinkle grated parmesan and panko crumbs on top and cook until crispy.
Serve with greens & crusty bread, and a glass of the red you cooked it in

Prep time: 20 minutes. Cooking time: 3.5 - 4 hours. Serves: 4-6

Ingredients:
1kg diced beef (chuck or blade)
1 cup plain flour
2 teasp cracked pepper
2 teasp paprika
Olive oil
2 onions
1 carrot
2 stalks celery
4 sprigs rosemary, leaves stripped from stem
1/2 cup chopped parsley (chop the stems as well but keep them separate from the leaves)
3 cloves garlic
200 ml red wine (a good hearty wine, like a Cabernet Sauvignon, Bordeaux or Rioja)
1cup beef stock
1 Tblsp tomato paste
1/2 cup beef stock extra (just in case)
500-750g potatoes thinly sliced
1/2 cup grated parmesan
1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs

Method:
Preheat oven to 160C / 320F / gas mark 2.8
Mix flour, pepper & paprika in a bowl
Heat a heavy based casserole pot over med-high heat. Cover the bottom of the pot with olive oil & bring to heat.
While oil is heating dredge diced beef in flour mix. I do it in batches - while one batch is cooking I start dredging the next batch. That way the flour doesn't become to clumpy on the meat.
Sear floured beef pieces (in batches) on all sides & remove to a separate bowl. It will take a few minutes for each batch.
Remove casserole dish from heat & let cool slightly then wipe out any badly burnt sediment (leave any 'good' crusty bits in for flavour
While pot is cooling dice onions, carrot & celery. Bring back to heat (add more oil if needed), then cook off onion mix until soft. Add a good pinch of salt.
Add garlic,
rosemary leaves
& chopped parsley stalks, & stir for 2-3 minutes. Add 1c of beef stock to deglaze pot & cook off for a few minutes. Add red wine & tomato paste & stir over heat until tom paste is incorporated. Add beef pieces (& any juices) & add more beef stock if necessary so liquid just covers beef.
Cook in the oven with the lid on for 1.5 hours, then take the lid off and cook for another hour.
Check the liquid content at this stage, if there's still a lot of liquid then cook for another 30 mins with the lid off (the liquid
should be a good thick gravy consistency, but not
liquid enough that you could drink it. It still needs to cook for a while yet so will still thicken/reduce over time).
Slice potatoes thinly. Remove pot from oven and stir through parsley (also check seasoning)
Place potato slices on top of beef in casserole dish and return to oven to cook for another 45 mins to an hour (with the lid off). The potatoes should by crisping up around the edges.
Sprinkle grated parmesan and panko crumbs on top and cook until crispy.
Serve with greens & crusty bread, and a glass of the red you cooked it in
View attachment 45390
Beautiful, Bravo I make a version of this. Instead of potatoes I cut a baguette into rounds slather one side with Dijon mustard, cover the daube with the bread mustard side down, place a blob of beef marrow on each slice and back till golden.
For me this is the great thing about this site. Other peoples quality dishes rekindle my memories. Thanks mate I had forgotten my version.

Beautiful, Bravo I make a version of this. Instead of potatoes I cut a baguette into rounds slather one side with Dijon mustard, cover the daube with the bread mustard side down, place a blob of beef marrow on each slice and back till golden.
For me this is the great thing about this site. Other peoples quality dishes rekindle my memories. Thanks mate I had forgotten my version.

Ohhhh this sounds delicious too

I made this! It's outstanding!

I didn't use enough potatoes, because I wasn't sure if they were supposed to go on in a thick layer or not, so I held some back, and I shouldn't have.

Also, leftovers will make an excellent pot pie filling!

Its a shame but HairyHeaven hasn't logged in since September last year so won't know how much you enjoyed it...

Back
Top Bottom