Recipe Beef Stew

Local time
3:41 AM
This is my go-to Beef Stew recipe. It's originally a Paula Deen recipe with a few changes to it to suit my family. Her's had parsnips which I switched out for potatoes and carrots.

Beef Stew
2 small pkg's of cubed stewing beef
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 1/2 cups water
1 onion (roughly chopped)
2 cloves of garlic (minced)
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp paprika
1-2 Bay leaves (I usually put 2 average sized ones)
Potatoes
Carrots

In a cast iron pot, brown the beef with the veggie oil. Once browned add all the ingredients except the potatoes and carrots. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to a low boil for 1 hour and 30 minutes. I don't have a specific amount for the potatoes and carrots, it depends on how much or how little you want. I usually cube 3 big potatoes and 3 good sized carrots and find it's quite enough. Once the potatoes and carrots are cooked I make a slurry of water and cornstarch. Dump it in and stir to make a gravy (about 2 heaping tbsp or cornstarch and 2 tbsp of water).

***For the paprika and pepper, the recipe originally called for 1/2 tsp of each but my husband isn't fond of spicy so I reduced them to 1/4 tsp each. I find it works perfectly. Try it both ways and see which you prefer!

My 3 year old son doesn't eat a huge bowl, but my husband and I do and there's more than enough left over for our lunches the next day.

I hope you enjoy!

IMG_20160217_155151866.jpg

Here's a pot of beef stew that I made about a month ago! :wink:

This is my go-to Beef Stew recipe. It's originally a Paula Deen recipe with a few changes to it to suit my family. Her's had parsnips which I switched out for potatoes and carrots.

Beef Stew
2 small pkg's of cubed stewing beef
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 1/2 cups water
1 onion (roughly chopped)
2 cloves of garlic (minced)
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp paprika
1-2 Bay leaves (I usually put 2 average sized ones)
Potatoes
Carrots

In a cast iron pot, brown the beef with the veggie oil. Once browned add all the ingredients except the potatoes and carrots. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to a low boil for 1 hour and 30 minutes. I don't have a specific amount for the potatoes and carrots, it depends on how much or how little you want. I usually cube 3 big potatoes and 3 good sized carrots and find it's quite enough. Once the potatoes and carrots are cooked I make a slurry of water and cornstarch. Dump it in and stir to make a gravy (about 2 heaping tbsp or cornstarch and 2 tbsp of water).

***For the paprika and pepper, the recipe originally called for 1/2 tsp of each but my husband isn't fond of spicy so I reduced them to 1/4 tsp each. I find it works perfectly. Try it both ways and see which you prefer!

My 3 year old son doesn't eat a huge bowl, but my husband and I do and there's more than enough left over for our lunches the next day.

I hope you enjoy!

I hate myself, I really do :)ohmy:) - but I'm going to say what I always say. This is a good straightforward recipe. But it seems a little tame. Lets blame Paula Deen! The thing is, that I find I need to add something to make a basic beef stew deep, dark and interesting. I often use some pre-made beef stock, sometimes soy sauce too. Worcestershire sauce as listed in the recipe is excellent. But I'd probably use 3 or 4 times the amount stated. Paprika is a good idea. But I'd put at least a Tbsp in! I also use allspice and cloves. Sometimes juniper berries. As it happens, I made a beef stew today (using brisket). If any is left I'll photograph and post the remains. :D

Maybe I'm just getting old and need to ramp up the flavours to satiate my jaded palate. :(

But, anyway... I love to see any recipe posted. Recipes always get me thinking and analysing.

I hate myself, I really do :)ohmy:) - but I'm going to say what I always say. This is a good straightforward recipe. But it seems a little tame. Lets blame Paula Deen! The thing is, that I find I need to add something to make a basic beef stew deep, dark and interesting. I often use some pre-made beef stock, sometimes soy sauce too. Worcestershire sauce as listed in the recipe is excellent. But I'd probably use 3 or 4 times the amount stated. Paprika is a good idea. But I'd put at least a Tbsp in! I also use allspice and cloves. Sometimes juniper berries. As it happens, I made a beef stew today (using brisket). If any is left I'll photograph and post the remains. :D

Maybe I'm just getting old and need to ramp up the flavours to satiate my jaded palate. :(

But, anyway... I love to see any recipe posted. Recipes always get me thinking and analysing.

Oh goodness, you shouldn't hate yourself for saying what you think. It is a very straightforward recipe which is why I like it because I know my husband and son will eat it. I have more of an adventurous palate than they do and would definitely add more to tweak the recipe and switch things up. Being that my son is 3 years old, it's a fight to get him to eat anything so when I find something that works I don't dare play with it too much. As for my husband, he doesn't really like anything that has too much of a kick to it which is why I only put in a little bit of the paprika. I'd love to see the beef stew you made if you have any left and if not then next time you make it take a pic before you dive in!

It is hard to beat a good beef stew. I rarely make it, but everytime I do, I am always thinking why don't I make this more often? It really is good. That looks a good and pretty easy to make recipe too. I like to make beef stew in the slow cooker. It is really easy to do in there, and can cook all day without disturbing anything. I do have some cast iron wear here though. I just don't use it too often.

Agree it's a good simple warming dish ideal for cold winter nights. I often prep it the night before and bung it in the slow cooker next morning, leaving it on a low heat all day. This way the flavours really develope and you can use a much tastier (and cheaper) cut of beef - shin, skirt, brisket or even oxtail. I would add celery, bay leaves, whole peppercorns and a bunch of fresh garden herbs to the ingredients listed above.

Back
Top Bottom