Beef stock for gravy

Shelley226

Local time
2:47 PM
Hi I'm looking for gravy advice!
I got beef bones (hip joint) from my butcher. Roasted in the oven and it's currently in my slow cooker along with celery, onion, garlic, leek and bay leaves with water to make a beef stock. (I forgot carrots and didn't have time to go and get them so had to leave out)
What do I do after this to make a gravy for xmas day?
Do I reduce it once I've sieved it? Or refrigerate, scoop the fat off then reduce? I'm going to freeze it then add it to the beef juices on xmas day.
Not added any salt or pepper yet, unsure how much to add as I know it becomes more concentrated once reduced!

After you strain it to get the chunks of meat, bones and veg out, I would refrigerate it overnight, and you should be lift the fat off in a solid sheet. I wouldn't reduce it with the fat in it.

Are you just going to reduce it, or will you be adding a thickening agent, like a roux or slurry?

CD

After you strain it to get the chunks of meat, bones and veg out, I would refrigerate it overnight, and you should be lift the fat off in a solid sheet. I wouldn't reduce it with the fat in it.

Are you just going to reduce it, or will you be adding a thickening agent, like a roux or slurry?

CD
Thanks for your reply

I refrigerated it and lifted off the fat (kept it for the roast potatoes)
I'm going to add it to the roast beef juices and thicken it and make a gravy for xmas day.
Just add flour and my stock to the juices then?

I'm going to add it to the roast beef juices and thicken it and make a gravy for xmas day.

Good idea to cook the roast potatoes in the fat.

Yep - I reckon you have it nailed - add flour & the stock to your beef juices - but I'd add some alcohol to the pan juices first. Almost anything you like - red wine or port, sherry etc. A generous splash and then turn up the heat to sizzle off the alcohol.

Thanks for your reply

I refrigerated it and lifted off the fat (kept it for the roast potatoes)

You can add flour, or make a slurry from corn starch and some water. It doesn't take much -- a few tablespoons of slurry will work. Once you add the slurry, bring it up to a simmer (minimal boiling point), and the slurry will work as a thickening agent without changing the taste of your gravy. It won't work its magic until you get it to that minimum boiling point.

AS MG said, a little red wine wouldn't hurt, either. Just make sure to simmer long enough to cook off the bitterness of the alcohol.

CD

Back
Top Bottom