The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
4:20 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
img_0720-jpg.jpg

Beef tagine is often prepared with onion, but I decided to exclude onion and up the quantity of garlic.

Ingredients

3 lbs sirloin, trimmed of fat and cut into 1 inch cubes
2 teaspoons kosher salt, more as needed
1 tablespoon ras el hanout spice mix
4 cups beef stock, reduced sodium
1 cup kohlrabi, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 cup carrot, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2 tablespoons olive oil, more as needed
3 tablespoons garlic, freshly grated
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 tablespoon ginger, freshly grated
1⁄4 teaspoon saffron, crumbled threads
4 ounces fresh cilantro, chopped
4 ounces dates, finely chopped (or date paste if available)
24 dates, Medjool
1⁄2 cup golden raisin

Directions
  1. In a large bowl, combine beef, salt, and ras el hanout. Let sit at room temperature at least 1 hour or up to 24 hours in the refrigerator.
  2. In a cast iron pan, heat olive oil to medium heat. Add add garlic and ginger and stir continuously for no more than a minute, until they become fragrant. Stir in tomato paste and stir continuously for another 3 minutes, until the paste changes color. Working in batches, add beef and cook only until browned on all sides. Set aside as the beef is browned, and continue until all the beef is cooked.
  3. Soak raisins in enough water to cover completely. Drain water after 30 minutes.
  4. Combine beef stock, kohlrabi, carrots, date paste, and beef in a ceramic casserole pan. Cover with foil and cook in oven for 1 hour.
  5. If not using a tagine, add whole dates to the casserole pan and cook for another 30 minutes, or until beef is tender.
  6. If using a tagine, place diffuser and tagine on the stove and raise heat to medium-low. Add whole dates to the casserole pan, and remove from oven. Working in batches, transfer some of the contents to the tagine. Heat with the lid on for another 30 minutes or until the beef is tender. Repeat as needed until done.
  7. Stir in soaked raisins.
  8. Garnish with cilantro and serve with flatbread or couscous.
img_0721-jpg.jpg

Very, very nice. If that tastes as good as it looks, then it must have been sensational.

Also great to see the inclusion of whole dates (presumably pitted?) in the dish

Very, very nice. If that tastes as good as it looks, then it must have been sensational.

Also great to see the inclusion of whole dates (presumably pitted?) in the dish
Thank you.

And, yes...pitted dates. I saw your post, and I think you can understand this dilemma: I needed 24 dates for the recipe, but I also needed to somehow keep myself from snacking on them too much while preparing this. :hyper:

Haha - it can be a problem.

Perhaps we could be guided by my neighbour's solution to the quandary of having a houseful of hungry children on a hot summer's afternoon

Buy 5 baguettes - but hide 3 of them ...

Saffron - good. I've noticed that few member's here use it (or have posted recipes using it). I always like the idea of leaving out onions as it saves on prep and cooking time (me, lazy?). It does look very good. Isn't that rather a lot of dates though? How many is it meant to serve?

Back
Top Bottom