9:03 PM
1 lb finely minced beef
4 ozs finely chopped onions
4 ozs finely grated carrot
1 egg
garlic (optional)
black pepper to taste
salt*

Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Shape the burgers (I use a burger press), then put them in the fridge for about half an hour to firm up before cooking them.

* I don't add salt as I don't normally use it in cooking. I find the black pepper a suitable substitute.

Carrot in burgers are a great idea to sneak in those extra veggies! Next time we happen to make burgers I'll do this as well and see if anyone can tell a difference! :D

I do like beefburgers no matter how they are cooked. I think this would be a dish that most people would like. There is nothing like the taste of a fresh juicy hamburger and I think that this recipe with finely minced carrot would be a good one. I have seen other burger recipes that contain carrot. I think for me finely minced onion would be the way to go though.

I do like beefburgers no matter how they are cooked. I think this would be a dish that most people would like. There is nothing like the taste of a fresh juicy hamburger and I think that this recipe with finely minced carrot would be a good one. I have seen other burger recipes that contain carrot. I think for me finely minced onion would be the way to go though.
I chop the onions to approximately the same size as garlic granules! I use my bread knife. It's much easier than an ordinary kitchen knife and much quicker than getting out my trusty 1970s Moulinex juicer/grater/mincer/everything-else-er or my food processor. Saves on washing up too :D

In the end I ditched making kale and apple salad and made three of these burgers using just over 1/4 lb of mince. 2 as per recipe (using just over half a small beaten egg) and 1 without onion but with extra carrot and using the rest of the egg for my houndie:giggle:

Didn't know about the Challenge - haven't investigated the whole site yet. Have now tagged and linked.
Fantastic! The Challenge is great fun because the winner chooses a new ingredient and we all get to explore the possibilities of using that ingredient. For me its been amazing as I've thought of lots of new ways to use familiar things. You wouldn't believe what I managed to do with lentils which were the subject of the last round (see Lamb, Aubergine and Beluga Lentil Balti). I swear I would never have invented that dish had it not been for the Challenge.

I have never thought of adding carrots to my burgers but I do like carrots and I think it would give it an interesting taste. I will have to try and remember to try that the next time we are making up hamburgers for the bbq.

This sounds really good, I have never thought to add carrot. I usually mix mine with an egg, fine bread crumbs, steak seasoning and finely chopped onion. I rarely cook with salt either, besides, the steak seasoning has a bit anyway and the bread crumbs ensures the mixture isn't too wet. We had hamburgers on the bbq this week actually and they were delicious. Next time, I'm going to add the grated carrot and garlic, the sweetness of the carrots should go very well with the rest of the ingredients.

In the end I ditched making kale and apple salad and made three of these burgers using just over 1/4 lb of mince. 2 as per recipe (using just over half a small beaten egg) and 1 without onion but with extra carrot and using the rest of the egg for my houndie:giggle:
I would have loved seeing a picture. Next time you make something please do share. I want @morning glory to have some competition in the photo department. I would love to give her some but my photos don't make the grade most times and recently my phone went dead on me just like that. Besides that I don't get to cook much of the things I post about or see here but in time I will. How was the one without onion? I can't imagine not using onions in almost any dish.

I would have loved seeing a picture. Next time you make something please do share. I want @morning glory to have some competition in the photo department. I would love to give her some but my photos don't make the grade most times and recently my phone went dead on me just like that. Besides that I don't get to cook much of the things I post about or see here but in time I will. How was the one without onion? I can't imagine not using onions in almost any dish.
I'll make some more and see if I can get a decent photo. My phone doesn't have a flash so any photos are a bit hit and miss. As I explained the burger without onion was for my dog and, although I put extra carrot in it, I used up the rest of the egg so the mix was pretty sloppy even after leaving it in the fridge. It cooked OK but was more like a mini beef omelette! It would probably have been fine if the proportions were better but, like you, I love onions and, as far as I am concerned, a burger without onions is a no-no :happy:

c
I'll make some more and see if I can get a decent photo. My phone doesn't have a flash so any photos are a bit hit and miss. As I explained the burger without onion was for my dog and, although I put extra carrot in it, I used up the rest of the egg so the mix was pretty sloppy even after leaving it in the fridge. It cooked OK but was more like a mini beef omelette! It would probably have been fine if the proportions were better but, like you, I love onions and, as far as I am concerned, a burger without onions is a no-no :happy:
I'm sorry I read it incorrectly. You know as much as I have seen that you should not give dogs onions, I quietly want to add some to their rice on the few occasions that I cook for them. I am actually cooking for them right now and was thinking onion is so missing from this pot. I said earlier today I am a photo addict but there is this lady called @morning glory that has completely taken over the photo shop and I love it.

Back
Top Bottom