Beer - Are You A Seasonal Drinker?

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
7:22 PM
I've been working my way through my stash of Oktoberfest beers, anticipating the upcoming Christmas (beer) season, and I'm wondering...for the folks here who like a beer now and again (and again...and again...), are you a seasonal beer drinker?

Do you like your bocks in the Spring, crisp Pilsners and Hefes in Summer, nut browns in Autumn, and substantial wee heavies and barleywines over Winter?

Or are you non-selective, and drink whatever whenever? Or maybe you have one or two favorite beers, and that's what you stick with year-round?

What's your preference?

I don't have a good taste memory, so I could drink all varieties of beer until I die of liver failure, and I'd certainly have opinions of them while I was drinking them, but I'd walk away with no real recollection of which kinds I liked better. So I just take beer as it comes and just enjoy it in the moment.

I've been working my way through my stash of Oktoberfest beers, anticipating the upcoming Christmas (beer) season, and I'm wondering...for the folks here who like a beer now and again (and again...and again...), are you a seasonal beer drinker?

Do you like your bocks in the Spring, crisp Pilsners and Hefes in Summer, nut browns in Autumn, and substantial wee heavies and barleywines over Winter?

Or are you non-selective, and drink whatever whenever? Or maybe you have one or two favorite beers, and that's what you stick with year-round?

What's your preference?
I am a seasoned beer drinker lol but not seasonal. I am still enjoying my Octoberfest but I'll intersperse that with other stuff I like, depending on my mood. I do have a lot of likes and dislikes. I love nut brown ales but not India pale ales, I don't like fruity beers or summer shandy. I love trying new beers and get excited about imports I've not seen before or new microbrews. I am partial to German beers for sure. I used to brew beer in college, lots of fun!

I like the pecan ale from Abita that in the past was only available in fall and winter. Haven't had it in a while though.

There was a time when just about everything, except eggs, milk and other regularly produced on the farm stuff was seasonal. They depended upon harvest times, hunting seasons and animal migrations. And seasonality went for beer too, since it depended upon grain harvests. Wine you might think would be very seasonal, - and some are. But most wines are stored and aged, being available year round. Many beers have similarly, always been casked or kegged, giving them year round availability.

Today, we import food from all over the world, so there are very few things that are still absolutely seasonal. But there are some things, like for example, finger limes.

With regard to beer in particular, it is not a seasonal thing for me, except for maybe the absolutely great maerzen beers which still hold to seasonal availability. But even for these, I have now on the shelves; and since I do not drink beer with any great frequency, I will be able to have a good quality maerzen any time of the year for now.

Keep in mind that I do not swim in beer or any other alcoholic beverage. Beer is a beverage, what I term a luxury beverage, which I fit into a desire for variety in my beverage intake. Beer and wine are in particular, beverages which for me, always go with a meal. The only beverage I drink with total frequency is coffee. However, even with coffee, I have begun to fit in tea. The one beverage that has become scarce for me is soda pop, as these contribute to type 2 diabetes problems. I do still occasionally have a coca cola or something else, but it is very rare, especially while the pandemic keeps me out of restaurant visits.

So no, I don't drink beer with any seasonal adherence.

yup. I drink beer every season of the year.

but, ... not that beer cooler stuff. flavored beer? seriously there Shirley?

I liked lighter beers with a clean finish in the hotter months, and more robust beers in the colder months. I loved a good chocolate stout sitting by a fire in January, but no way sitting by the pool in June. To that extent, my beer drinking was seasonal.

CD

yup. I drink beer every season of the year.

but, ... not that beer cooler stuff. flavored beer? seriously there Shirley?

I do like a well brewed fruit lambic. If you are not familiar, here is a brief description from Wikipedia...

Lambic may be made with the addition of raspberry (framboise), peach (pêche), blackcurrant (cassis), grape (druif), or strawberry (aardbei), as either whole fruit or syrup. Other, rarer fruit lambic flavorings include apple (pomme), banana (banane), pineapple (ananas), apricot (abricot), plum (prune), cloudberry (plaquebière), lemon (citron), and blueberry (myrtille). Fruit lambics are usually bottled with secondary fermentation. Although fruit lambics are among the most famous Belgian fruit beers, the use of names such as kriek, framboise or frambozen, cassis, etc. does not necessarily imply that the beer is made from lambic. The fruit beers produced by the Liefmans Brewery, for example, use an oud bruin, rather than a lambic as a base.

I have only had Kreik (sour cherry), and framboise (raspberry).

CD

Another fruit beer I used to drink from time to time was Abita Purple Haze (a New Orleans Brewery). It is a raspberry lager.

Screen Shot 2021-11-13 at 8.30.26 PM.jpg

Beer here when I was a teenager we bought beer in half gallon glass jars or flagons. Fill your own at pubs.
Then as I got to my 30s just plain straight beer in 750ml bottles. A crate of 12..
Then in my 40s mixed beer with rum periodically.
50s cut beer out and spirits now.
Gin with water.
Although I buy a box of beer a few times in racing fortnight.
Kingfisher and peroni first choice.
Heineken and grolsch second choice.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom