Veteran
Local time
7:07 AM
Thank you SatNavSaysStraightOn for introducing me to beer batter

Here's a basic recipe I found:

1 cup flour
1 large egg, beaten
1 1/2 cups beer

It seems that this can have about 1/4 cup caster sugar added for a sweet batter, or some pepper and/or garlic powder to add for a savory batter.

So...

Will Chia seed or flaxseed be a good enough egg substitute for a vegetarian beer batter or would the best option be to just leave off the egg entirely?

What sort of beer would be better for batter? My favorite beer has a very robust flavor, maybe a milder option would be better if beer batter isn't actually supposed to taste like beer?

Finally-- What would be the best thing to dip in it? ;-9 Strawberries don't grow in my climate, so cheesecake-stuffed strawberries in beer batter might be a long time in coming. Does this work equally well with everything, or would it overwhelm a cream dory while being too weak for a halibut steak?

The best use I know for beer batter is to make Belgian breakfast waffles. Using beer replaces the need for yeast. Beat the egg whites first for a lighter batter.

You can buy Belgian pearl sugar if you are making authentic Liege waffles, or use any coarse granulated sugar. Simply place the batter and sugar into a waffle iron and heat until it turns a golden brown.

Freshly cooked Belgian waffles can be topped with fresh fruit or berries and some whipped cream.

I usually use beer batter on fish. I am afraid I do not know about vegetarian options for egg replacement. You may now be wondering why I have bothered to respond. However, I can suggest full-flavored ales or lemonade as an alternative. Also, if you are a vegetarian, try deep fried vegetables in batter. I can particularly recommend cauliflower and broccoli florets or courgette/ zucchini

Back
Top Bottom