Recipe Beer Brine

CraigC

Guru
Local time
3:51 PM
I just washed the carrots off and cut the ends off before slicing. I put the beer in the container I used to brine the bird, added the cooled brine and then the ice. It was ready for the bird in 20 minutes. Submerged the bird, put container in the fridge and brined over night. I took the bird out a couple hours ahead of cooking, drying it off, inside and out with paper towels. I set a pan below the grate and filled it with turkey stock and set the bird over it on the grate. My turkey was 12# and @ 250F was done in 3-1/2 hours. I used a dark beer, Modelo Negra, and I'm sure any beer besides a "Craft" beer would work.

Ingredients
1 quart water
2 cup salt, kosher do not use iodized salt
1 cup sugar, brown light
1 tablespoon peppercorns, black whole
4 each bay leaves preferably fresh
3 bunch thyme, fresh
3 each onions, yellow peeled and chopped
3 stalks celery chopped
3 each carrots, large peeled and chopped
6 each garlic, cloves peeled
1 each lemon cut into slices
1 each orange cut into slices
6 pound ice or 3 quarts ice cold water
1 gallon beer, ice cold such as American Brown Ale, Märzen | Oktoberfest, Bock or Scotch Ale |

Directions
At least 2 days in advance of Thanksgiving | event | Holiday, start the brine.
1) In a large pot, over high heat, add the water, salt, sugar, peppercorns, bay leaves, thyme, onions, celery, carrots, garlic, lemon and orange. Bring the liquid to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes to infuse the flavors together, dissolving the salt and sugar.
2) Turn off the heat and let the brine cool for 20 minutes, then add in the ice and beer of choice. 3) Mix the ingredients together and take the temperature of the finished brine. A thermometer should read 40°F | 4°C or lower in order to be safe to use. If it is warmer, place the pot into a refrigerator until 40°F | 4°C is reached.

Too much of a beery flavor for me. I want him to do a 50/50 ratio of water and beer instead of 1 gallon of beer if he does this again. I'm not that fond of beer and it was way too much for me.

Too much of a beery flavor for me. I want him to do a 50/50 ratio of water and beer instead of 1 gallon of beer if he does this again. I'm not that fond of beer and it was way too much for me.

:ohmy: Well I think I'd have liked it - but then I like beer.

Back
Top Bottom