Beer cheese

Duck59

Guru
Local time
11:51 PM
Website
duckholiday.com
Beer cheese is great! I have even seen people using gluten free beers to create a gluten-free beer cheese, which is nice for the people that can't live a gluten lifestyle. I think the beer adds a good unique flavor, depending on what kind of beer you're using.

I'm a bit sceptical of the idea that beer provides some kind of preservation effect. The whole point of making cheese is that the fermentation process is a preservation technique - would there really be enough hop or alcohol when adding a small amount of beer to provide any additional effect? These are English beers, so not very high in hop or alcohol. In any case, part of the process of cheese ripening involves fungal and bacterial growth so you need microbial activity to continue.

Some of the Trappist monasteries make cheeses (or have cheeses made for them), but I don't think they use beer in the process. I've taste Chimay, Orval and Rochefort cheese.

Never even knew a product like this existed! I can't say I've seen it locally here, but I am living in Japan right now so that doesn't surprise me. But now you've got me wondering if there's such a thing as a sake cheese!

I never knew it existed either but I guess it is not something I ever even looked for before. Now that I have heard about it I am definitely going to check around and see if it is available anywhere here!

Think there's a Guinness Cheese one already.
And if there isn't you will find one I am sure. Duck 59, I hope you realise who you are coming up against with the the likes of Classic33 and Morning Glory. All I will say about this recipe it that it is interesting.

Back
Top Bottom