Recipe Beetroot, Portobello & French Puy Lentil Bourgugnon

Francesca

Local time
5:32 AM
My mother was going through some old magazines and she pointed out this recipe to me. Being a grand lover of beetroot and uncultivated mushrooms, I decided to give it a go .. My mom had made this for my dad, and he loved it ..

This recipe was published in the June 1st, 2013 Edition of the The London Times Magazine.

On the stove at my parents now .. Must rush as I am leaving Monday 7am for Portugal ..

AAbeetrootbourgIMG-20171008-WA0000.jpg

This recipe serves 4.

4 tblsps. French Evoo (extra virigni Olive Oil which I purchased in Marseille from a Chef friend´s Grandfather who has groves in Provençe)
1 Yellow Onion chopped finely in arcs
4 garlic cloves finely minced
8 small beetroots, peeled and quartered
6 orange traditional carrots , peeled & sliced in large pieces lengthwise
salt and freshly ground peppercorns to taste
2 tblsps of tomato paste ( San Marzano if possible)
250 Ml. French Burgundy Red Wine ( or Vegan Wine, as article states )
500 Ml. Homemade Vegetable Stock
400 grams of French Puy Lentils ( I am subbing, Salamanca, Spain Ecological Lentils )
6 Portobello Mushrooms sliced ( I am using uncultivated Boletus Eduli from Cataluna´s Pyrenées)
10 Crimini Mushrooms sliced ( I am using " Níscalos", from Ocejón, Guadalajara, Spain ), a rusty bittersweet orange red brown mushroom variety ..
10 Pearl onions peeled
2 tsp. Arrow root disolved in 2 tablesp of wáter
Fresh Thyme leaves to garnish

Method:
1) Heat 2 tblsps of Evoo in a thick bottomed saucepan over a médium heat. Stir in the onion and garlic & Sauté until tender.
2) Toss the beetorrots, carrots, bay leaf & thyme sprigs into the pan with the onion and garlic. Add salt and pepper and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3) Now, stir in the tomato paste, red wine and vegetable stock and simmer on a low heat 20 minutes.
4) Meanwhile, rinse the lentils under running wáter.
5) Bring 1 litre of water and add the lentils and bring to a boil.
6) Lower the heat to low médium and simmer 20 - 25 minutes.
7) When the lentils are almost cooked, add sea salt .. to taste ..
8) Drain excess wáter and cover and set aside ..
9) Now heat 2 tblsps of Evoo in a large sauté skillet or pan ..
10) Sear the mushrooms and the Pearl onions, stirring very gently with a wooden spatula, and cook until just tender and Golden in color ..
11) Season the mushrooms with salt and pepper and fresh minced parsely.
12) Now sample taste the veggies and add more salt if necessary, thyme, minced parsley or add more stock or wine if necessary.
13) Add the arrow root mixture to the veggies and stir gently, just until thickened and transparent clear.
14) Add the mushroom mixture and simmer another 10 to 12 minutes.
15) Remove bay leaf and thyme sprigs.
16) Spoon the stew into 4 bowls together with the drained seasoned lentils and sprinkle with fresh thyme sprig and minced fresh parsley.

Last edited by a moderator:
beetroot bourguignon.jpg

This is the original récipe I followed from my Mom´s June 2013 The London Times Magazine.

The subs I used were: Salamanca ecological bio Green Lentils and the
Onions I used were French Shallots ..

It was absolutely delicious .. My dad and husband had 2 bowls each !

The sauce was incredible and sorry -- I cannot find where I typed the récipe !!!!!!

So, I cannot type it again as I am now in the car and off to Barcelona from Cadaques and then I will leave for Portugal Monday 7am ..

Truly a gem of a récipe ..

My mother was going through some old magazines and she pointed out this recipe to me. Being a grand lover of beetroot and uncultivated mushrooms, I decided to give it a go .. My mom had made this for my dad, and he loved it ..

Thank you for posting this up. I fully intend to make this recipe myself.

Thank you for posting this up. I fully intend to make this recipe myself.

Truly amazing .. We all loved it and we are not Vegan or Vegetarians ..

I posted the article because I did not see my typed recipe !! I was not too pleased ..

We took the leftovers to Barcelona so my husband is going to re heat stove top tomorrow .. I am off to get some rest as I am off to Portugal tomorrow .. It truly is a jewel ..

Have a lovely evening ..

Last edited:
My husband had eaten the leftovers with my parents and loved it ..

Here is the photo of the " molded " dish ..

AABEETROOTFRANCESCA20171012_143611.jpg

Back
Top Bottom