Recipe Beets & Greens

classic33

Legendary Member
Local time
1:25 PM
vegetables-beets-roasted-beets-with-guinness-and-sauteed-beet-greens-1.jpg
“Grace before Glutton. For what we are, gifs a gross if we are, about to believe.”
James Joyce, Finnegans Wake

Beet greens sautéed in Guinness®, butter, and red wine vinegar.

Ingredients:
9 pounds beets including the greens, trimmed, reserving 1 pound of the beet greens
3 tablespoons Guinness®
1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter

the reserved beet greens or 1 pound kale, coarse stems discarded and the leaves washed well, spun dry and chopped very coarse

Method
  1. Preheat oven to 400*.
  2. Trim the beets, leaving 1 inch of the stems attached, and scrub them well. Wrap the beets tightly in aluminum foil(three or more to a packet) and roast(on a jelly roll pan or baking sheet) in the middle of the oven until tender, about 1-1/2 hours. (The cooking time will vary according to the size of the beets – you want them tender all the way through when you pierce them with a small, sharp knife). Unwrap the beets carefully (steam will escape) and let them stand until they are cool enough to handle. Peel them under running water. (Beets are now ready for use. They may be prepared up to this point 2 days ahead and chilled, covered. Bring to room temperature before proceeding.) Quarter the beets and reserve 1 pound of the beet greens.
  3. In a skillet bring to a boil the stout and the vinegar and whisk in 2 tablespoons of the butter. Stir in the beets, add salt and pepper to taste, and keep the beets warm, covered.
  4. In a large skillet heat the remaining 2 tablespoons butter over moderately high heat until the foam subsides, in it sauté the reserved beet greens, stirring, for 5 minutes, or until they are tender, and stir in salt and pepper to taste.
Arrange the greens around the edge of a platter and mound the beets in the center.
Serve With:

Ballymaloe Irish lamb stew

http://www.gastronomista.com/2011/03/gastronomista-guide-guinness-recipe.html#.VkVXsLLtlHx
Winterybella made me do it

Last edited:
What kind of beets are these? I never seen yellow ones before, Beets and greens use to be a favorite of my mom and dad's. They didn't have it with Guinness though. I think they just used to steam them and have them with butter and salt. I can't remember as it was many years ago but I do remember them eating them when I was a kid. I would never even try them back then but I would today. I had forgotten about them until I seen this post.

Golden beetroot...I bought one the other day as it was the first time I had seen it. Much sweeter than "normal" beetroot. I also tried out some "candy beetroot" which is closer to the usual beetroot in appearance and taste, with the exception of having white stripes running through it and being, perhaps, just a little sweeter.

Reactions: L_B
Thanks I will have to check it out this weekend when I go grocery shopping. I really like beets to I am thinking that these being sweet will be really good. I am anxious to try them now.

I want to triple like this Classic33. This dish looks good even though I don't know if we have yellow beets around here. We have a way of having to see in the UK or the US before it gets here.

I want to triple like this Classic33. This dish looks good even though I don't know if we have yellow beets around here. We have a way of having to see in the UK or the US before it gets here.
One of the other ones checked(see post above) was an American one.

Back
Top Bottom