Beige food

epicuric

Legendary Member
Local time
2:53 PM
Sunday's at home in our house always feature a full blown Sunday roast, the process starting at around midday and culminating in a culinary feast arriving at the kitchen table by 3pm. Yesterday was no exception, in fact we pushed the boundaries a bit:
Shoulder of pork (meltingly tender after 24 hours sous vide)
Cider gravy
Apple sauce (our own apples)
Crispy roast potatoes
Fennel gratin (lots of cream and garlic)
Sweet corn with lemon and fried sage leaves
Confit shallots
Vichy carrots
and a good dollop of English mustard.

The combination of flavours was amazing. As I sat there, savouring every mouthful, I suddenly realised that you would never be offered such a meal in a restaurant. With the exception of the carrots, everything was BEIGE. Nothing could transform those ingredients into anything other than a plate of BEIGE food, something that no self respecting chef would ever serve in a restaurant. It made me wonder how many other exquisite meals never see the light of day because they cannot be made to look "pretty" enough on a plate. I know there is the old adage of first feasting with your eyes, but should visual appeal stand in the way of good food

Sunday's at home in our house always feature a full blown Sunday roast, the process starting at around midday and culminating in a culinary feast arriving at the kitchen table by 3pm. Yesterday was no exception, in fact we pushed the boundaries a bit:
Shoulder of pork (meltingly tender after 24 hours sous vide)
Cider gravy
Apple sauce (our own apples)
Crispy roast potatoes
Fennel gratin (lots of cream and garlic)
Sweet corn with lemon and fried sage leaves
Confit shallots
Vichy carrots
and a good dollop of English mustard.

The combination of flavours was amazing. As I sat there, savouring every mouthful, I suddenly realised that you would never be offered such a meal in a restaurant. With the exception of the carrots, everything was BEIGE. Nothing could transform those ingredients into anything other than a plate of BEIGE food, something that no self respecting chef would ever serve in a restaurant. It made me wonder how many other exquisite meals never see the light of day because they cannot be made to look "pretty" enough on a plate. I know there is the old adage of first feasting with your eyes, but should visual appeal stand in the way of good food

There are ways to make a plate of beige food look appetising - judicious use of herbs, for example, sprinkled over or make it a celebration of light colours but arrange the plate carefully in terms of textures and shapes - it can be done but its not easy. Also - thinking about the plate on which the food will be served - an appropriate plate can make all the difference.

Coincidentally I've recently be faced with that challenge for an entry to the Recipe challenge (partridge with a cream sauce). You will see - not sure how well I achieved it... I link it back here when I post it up.

I've made plenty of beige food. It is hard to photograph -- well, without having a food stylist handy.

A few months ago I made Filet Mignon with a peppercorn sauce. I put in on a plate, and it was pure beige. It needed something, fast (I was hungry). I thought of herbs from my garden, ran outside and saw some bright red cayenne peppers. Those peppers had absolutely nothing to do with the recipe, but they looked good.

StakePeppercorn.jpg

CD

No sides???
Coincidentally I've just taken 2 porterhouse steaks from the freezer for tomorrow night. With garlic "Dianne" sauce. Not sure on sides yet.??

Russ

No sides???
Coincidentally I've just taken 2 porterhouse steaks from the freezer for tomorrow night. With garlic "Dianne" sauce. Not sure on sides yet.??

Russ

I had mashed potatoes on a separate plate (prime steakhouse style) -- more beige. :laugh:

CD

Back
Top Bottom