Recipe Bell Pepper Pizzas

Local time
10:04 PM
I love a good pizza even if it's not that great for me and if you can replace the flour with peppers, why not? Here goes my first recipe for the Challenge.
bell-pepper-pizzas-550-watermark.jpg

INGREDIENTS
  • 1 large green bell pepper
  • ¼ cup pizza or spaghetti sauce
  • ¼ cup grated cheese
  • a pinch of red pepper flakes
  • a pinch of basil or parsley
  • as many toppings as you can fit!

INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Pre-heat your oven or toaster oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
  2. Slice off each of the four sides of your pepper and lay flat on a baking sheet.
  3. Top with sauce, then cheese, followed by any and every veggie in your crisper! I added broccoli and tomatoes to mine.
  4. Bake for 10 minutes, flipping your oven to broil towards the end to make the cheese nice and bubbly.
  5. Add a pinch of red pepper flakes and basil/parsley if desired and dig in!
Source: http://peasandcrayons.com/2014/06/bell-pepper-pizzas.html

This bell pepper pizza recipe looks great. This seems to be a vegetarian type of pizza without the bacon or the ham. I have eaten a vegetarian pizza before, but I was not that fond of it, maybe because of the fact that I am so accustomed to the other types of pizza. However, I could always give the vegetarian one another try and may very well acquire the taste for it. The recipe looks simple too.

If I am being completely honest I could serve this as a side dish. To me it's just another stuffed pepper called by another name. As far as the actual recipe goes the highlight for me is where it says "as many toppings as you can fit" and for me ham or bacon bits would be in there. Further I would not use such a big piece of tomato if any at all.

Oops. Just when I thought I had everything covered. I think I am going to have to revisit the tagging.
It's pretty simply, when you create the recipe there is an entry for tags, the system automatically scans your title and matches existing tags and includes them for you. You only need to add in the less obvious ones such as the cookingbites recipe challenge or vegetarian etc as needed or manually change any mistakes. also you can edit any tags or any thread to include something you feel is missed by someone else (new members can't initially add tags so they need to be added in for them). Tags help Google searches and indexing allowing cookingbites to go up the Google ranking on searches hence helping the site grow, so it's helpful there, but also if you click on them in any thread you will get everything that has that tag so it is a useful filter within cookingbites as well.

Yum - I like the idea of using veggies in place of the traditional pizza crust when I'm feeling like pizza but wanting a lighter option. I think I would probably have to add some pepperoni or salami though (it's the Italian heritage in me...)

I am really liking this idea. I never thought of using peppers as a base for pizza. This is definitely one I will be making. Similar to stuffed peppers but different in many ways too. Good one @winterybella !!

Thanks @SatNavSaysStraightOn. I think I did it before. The thing with my recipe is that I wonder if I am going to want to bite into an entire half of a pepper as a base. When I do have pizzas, green peppers are a must for a topping, but of course those are small pieces.

Back
Top Bottom