Recipe Berry and Buttermilk Cobbler

WhatsCookingMama

Local time
2:54 AM
Recipe from Simple Victories from Julia Turshen. I bought this cookbook in March and this is the first I have used it. Besides reading it.

I didn't take pictures because we company over and the no phone rule during. I should have taken pictures prior, oh well -I'll blame the children for distracting me.

Ingredients
2 pounds mixed berries -Anything but strawberries because of the high water content. I used fresh blueberries and fresh frozen blackberries.
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup granulated sugar
Kosher salt
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
4 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
1/2 cup buttermilk
Vanilla ice cream

Method
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly butter a 9x13 inch pan.
  2. Put berries in the dish. Drizzle lemon juice, pour 1/4 cup of the sugar and cornstarch. Also sprinkle with a generous pinch of salt. Toss around all together.
  3. Make the biscuits: combine flour, buttermilk, butter, sugar, baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Whisk together. Shape biscuits about 2 teaspoons worth over berries.
  4. Bake about 1 hour. Biscuits should be golden and berries bubbly. Let rest about 15 minutes prior to serving. Don't forget the ice cream... lol
My thoughts, definitely good eating. Super simple and delicious. Everyone enjoyed it. Fresh berries made it all the better. I would use frozen too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom