Recipe "Best" Burger Buns

medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
3:28 PM
This recipe is from "The Burger Meisters" cookbook, which is a compilation of recipes from various chefs by Chef Marcel Desaulniers, the "Death by Chocolate" author. This particular recipe is named by and from Chef Charles Saunders.

I've made this recipe many times, though I usually only make half since there is just the 2 of us. I use half the whole egg, then add in a bit of water to make the egg wash rather than just using the egg white.

You can also add Parmesan to make cheesey burger buns. I'll add that as an option.

Makes 12 buns

1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp warm water
1 tsp active dry yeast
4-1/4 cups AP flour
1/2 cup milk
1 large egg, at room temperature
2 Tbsp plus 1 tsp EVOO
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
1 large egg white

1 cup freshly grated Parm R cheese (Optional for the cheesey burger buns)

In a large bowl (use a stand mixer if you have one), place the sugar, yeast and warm water, and stir to mix. Allow to stand until foamy, about 4-5 minutes. If it doesn't foam, your yeast is bad and you need to get new.

Add 4 cups of the flour (and the cheese if using), the milk, egg, 2 Tbsp EVOO, and salt. Mix on low speed for 1 minute, then scrape bowl down, and then mix on low with the dough hook until dough forms a ball, about 4-5 minutes. If the dough starts to climb the hook, stop the mixer and scrape it down. Follow same directions if mixing by hand, though it will probably take longer.

Turn dough out onto a lightly floured board and knead for 4-5 minutes until smooth and elastic. Add in remaining 1/4 cup flour as needed.

Coat the inside of a large bowl with the remaining EVOO, cover with a damp towel, and allow to rise in a warm location until doubled in volume, about 1-1/2 to 2 hours.

Punch down the dough and divide into 12 equal portions. Form each portion into a ball and flatten to a disk about 1/2 inch thick. Prepare a 10x15 baking sheet by covering with parchment or a silpat, and scattering the cornmeal. Place the disks on the baking sheet equally spacing. Cover with a piece of plastic wrap or parchment that has been sprayed with a cooking spray and allow to rise in a warm space until doubled in size, about 45 minutes.

During that time, preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

Mix the egg white and lightly brush over the buns. Place in oven and bake for 12-14 minutes. Allow the buns to thoroughly cool before slicing.

Buns may be frozen in sealed plastic bags for up to 2 months. Thaw and either grill or toast in the oven.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom