Best coating for fried chicken

MrMajeika

Local time
7:50 PM
Making fried chicken and just wondering what the best flour to use is. Seen some recipes say to use some cornstarch with the flour and others say to add baking powder. I have potato starch should I add some of that? Would you add baking powder too? Only made fried chicken once before along time ago ( I know I know but I'm British) so just wondering if others can speak from experience

This makes fantastic fried chicken, some of the best I've ever had and that's saying something since I'm a southern girl. I don't use the dip because I prefer it without. If you make it, you have to follow the directions exactly. But read through comments as it appears we reduced the salt somewhat.

Recipe - Dipped Fried Chicken

MrMajeika if you already have Potato Starch, I love Kara'age Chicken or Japanese-style Fried Chicken.
There are many recipes online.
This is now our favorite Fried Chicken. It will stay crispy - sorta/kinda - til the next day kept covered in the refrigerator too.

It depends on whether or not I am frying skinless boneless chicken (like making chicken for sandwiches or breading cordon bleu). In that case I will use Panko and bread crumbs mixed with flour. But if I am frying Southern style chicken (in my opinion the very best fried chicken) with skin, I use seasoned AP (all purpose) flour. I would bet that cornstarch mixed in would make a really nice crispy crust, though. Are you able to research any US recipes? If I look for a recipe link and bring it here, hopefully you can open it. I know that sometimes that people in other countries (I am in Ohio USA) can't get the links to work. I also like to marinate my chicken in buttermilk before breading, but not sure if that's available to you?

But here's some recipe links that I hope you can view:

Southern-Style Buttermilk Fried Chicken

Southern Fried Chicken

Southern Style Fried Chicken - GastroSenses

And of course you can always tailor it a bit to suit your own personal tastes! I hope you come back and post photos and results, and I hope you love however you end up preparing it!

Buttermilk Fried Chicken!! I think that this one is the best out of all of them!!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice everyone. Went for plain (all purpose flour) and added some baking powder and spices. Took the chicken which had been marinating in buttermilk overnight and dipped in flour then back in buttermilk and then flour again thought it might give an extra flakey coating. I think it turned out pretty good although annoyingly I don't remember that much what it tasted like as I went out for a friend's bday and was kinda drunk when I got back and made it but the wife said it was really good! Was still some left over I'll probably just freeze it for another time although I doubt it will be as good reheated

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Went for plain (all purpose flour) and added some baking powder and spices. Took the chicken which had been marinating in buttermilk overnight and dipped in flour then back in buttermilk and then flour again thought it might give an extra flakey coating. I think it turned out pretty good although annoyingly I don't remember that much what it tasted like as I went out for a friend's bday and was kinda drunk when I got back and made it but the wife said it was really good! Was still some left over I'll probably just freeze it for another time although I doubt it will be as good reheated
It will reheat okay in the oven if just refrigerated, but I have no idea what it will be like if you freeze it. Do you have a friend or neighbor who might like some?

Back
Top Bottom