Best Croque Monsieur recipe ?

Egbert

Local time
2:06 AM
I had Croque Monsieur today for breakfast. I used this method
View: https://youtu.be/xevav_FzsGM
ignore the grinning buffoon that is Greg Wallace it's a great quick recipe. Anyone have any good versions of Croque Monsieur?

Mod Note: please remember to post recipes in their own threads and put a link back in here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Worcestershire sauce in bechamel??? My god my French blood just froze! But seriously it actually looks interesting, I will try. Otherwise this recipe looks very good (especially the part where they fry it in a huge amount of butter), to make it even better you can transform your bechamel into a sauce mornay by adding an egg yolk and grated cheese (because there is no such things as too much cheese). There are variations where you also put bechamel and grated cheese on top and put it in the oven to gratinate, it's delicious. And if you're really hungry, you can turn your croque-monsieur into a croque-madame by adding a fried egg on top!

Worcestershire sauce in bechamel??? My god my French blood just froze! But seriously it actually looks interesting, I will try. Otherwise this recipe looks very good (especially the part where they fry it in a huge amount of butter), to make it even better you can transform your bechamel into a sauce mornay by adding an egg yolk and grated cheese (because there is no such things as too much cheese). There are variations where you also put bechamel and grated cheese on top and put it in the oven to gratinate, it's delicious. And if you're really hungry, you can turn your croque-monsieur into a croque-madame by adding a fried egg on top!

I suspect the origin of that could be that Worcestershire is used in Welsh Rarebit which is a cousin of the Croque Monsieur.

I've never made a 'proper' CM (though I've eaten a few in France) so now I'm inspired to try with your suggestions. :)

Interesting! The Welsh version is actually very popular in the North of France where it is just called "the welsh". This version is cooked with beer (being close to Belgium, the North is actually much more a beer than wine region), and served with beer as well :happy:

Back
Top Bottom