Best foods for natural energy

That's not all I eat. I was just saying I eat a LOT of avocados and eggs. I eat tons of veggies, salads, fish, chicken, beef, pork, cheese. And because it's a high fat diet I eat a lot of avocados, bacon, cheese, sour cream, etc. I eat more vegetables on this diet than I used to when eating high carb. Tonight I'm eating zucchini noodles, for instance.
All good stuff. I started cutting out carbs/sugar almost a year ago and eat fat without concern anymore, even saturated fats. I feel much healthier and have lost weight without calorie watching. Not sure about zucchini noodles though :)

All good stuff. I started cutting out carbs/sugar almost a year ago and eat fat without concern anymore, even saturated fats. I feel much healthier and have lost weight without calorie watching. Not sure about zucchini noodles though :)

I did zucchini (courgette) noodles once. They look pretty... but I'm not convinced:

Carrot, Courgette and Mung Bean Tangle

IMGP1309.jpg

Nice! Saturated fats aren't bad for us - the latest research indicates they are only bad when combined with carbs. Eating them on their own in conjunction with a low or moderate carb diet isn't bad for us. I feel a lot healthier, too. I've lost about 20 pounds without really trying and I still get to drink red wine. Zucchini noodles are awesome - you just have to prepare them right. They turn to mush if cooked too long and aren't good if you don't get the moisture out. They're especially good with fatty sauces like pesto and alfredo.

Nice! Saturated fats aren't bad for us - the latest research indicates they are only bad when combined with carbs. Eating them on their own in conjunction with a low or moderate carb diet isn't bad for us. I feel a lot healthier, too. I've lost about 20 pounds without really trying and I still get to drink red wine. Zucchini noodles are awesome - you just have to prepare them right. They turn to mush if cooked too long and aren't good if you don't get the moisture out. They're especially good with fatty sauces like pesto and alfredo.
Great to have another enlightened thinker on board :)

Great to have another enlightened thinker on board :)

Nice to meet you! It's good to know I'm not alone in not feeling the slightest bit guilty or wrong eating lots of fat. In the 90s and 2000s I was on board the non-fat train and I didn't feel very healthy.

Nice to meet you! It's good to know I'm not alone in not feeling the slightest bit guilty or wrong eating lots of fat. In the 90s and 2000s I was on board the non-fat train and I didn't feel very healthy.
Have you read "The Big Fat Surprise" by Nina Teicholz? It charts the flawed medical research behind the demonisation of fat and the promotion of the high carb sugary diet?

Last edited:
Have you read "The Big Fat Surprise" by Nine Teicholz? It charts the flawed medical research behind the demonisation of fat and the promotion of the high carb sugary diet?
No, I will have to check it out. Thanks. I've read the Gary Taubes book "Good Calories, Bad Calories." It sounds like they have similar approaches. Taubes went through all the research and found the same thing - flawed studies demonizing fat and praising high carb diets.

For an energy boost, I like to quote General Macauliffe at the Battle of the Bulge, "Nuts!"

Brazil nuts and almonds are my favourites.

For even more energy, especially when out hiking, biking, or skiing, I love a good GORP (an old Boy Scout term for good ol' raisins and peanuts). Add some dark chocolate, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, and dried mango/papaya/apricot to make it a trail mix.

Add some dark chocolate, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, and dried mango/papaya/apricot to make it a trail mix
My hubby has banned me from eating any mixes because I separate out everything I like and eat it all individually...so defeating the object of the mix! One time he had. created the mix by hand for me, picking out all my favourites... And I went and ate it all pulling it apart and eating all if of thing first, all of another next etc... You can guess how well it was received!

That's funny. My wife does the same thing. It makes me nuts when she picks out the M&Ms, then the almonds, then the dried cranberries, and so on.

I end up back where I started, with just some gorp.

Back
Top Bottom