Best Kitchen Knives

Local time
2:53 PM
What knives do people think are best, based on performance and value for money.
I have a couple of Global knives, bloody expensive but I love them, stay sharp for ages and feel great to use.

Cheers,

FC

Same here, used to have global kitchen knives 5 of them... went to my sister when we went off to cycle around the world, my brother a cook who lives with her (and got the TV, DVD & PVR) knicked them and took them to work - at least they are getting used...

now I get by on 2 small, seriously old and well loved knives and my outdoor knife (think +£300 - not that I paid that, I found it at the side of the road, but its a beauty and its a real shame not to use it :whistling: ...)

i have a set of global but don't find them heavy enough for larger chopping jobs,i do tend to prefer henkel/gustav type knives or a rose wood victorinox,but be careful buying cheap globals as the market does get flood with cheap copies

I'd love global knives but they are pricey- have a set from Richardson Sheffield - pretty good- the handle and the knife is all moulded out of the steel so longer lasting than the first set I got which had siliconised handles that started cracking and got sticky after a few years.

There was a Japanese knife seller in Soho in London that did the most amazingly beautiful knives- I can't remember what they're called but you could slice layers off a a tomatoe flesh they were that sharp. They had several layers worked together and really were items of beauty - outrageously expensive though!

I have a couple of Gerber knives, which aren't made any more, and a couple of Shun knives. I use all of them.

I'm still in the quest of finding good kitchen knives that are really worth.

Actually I'm using a set of them that came as a promotional gift when buying a box of instant noodles package, no brand label.

However my sister suggested me those that come (as "gift" as well) with the purchase of the Flavorstone cookware, but those infomercials are often scam offering low-quality items. I know because I really believed that the "amazing" Ginsu knives were really and invest a fortune to get the full set, that served for nothing but a first time use.

I just invest in a good Santoku knife, as well as a deboning knife. I can do just about everything with those two knives alone. On a rare occasion I use my meat cleaver when plowing through a large amount of buffalo wings. I think the most I've ever spent on a given knife though was under $75. I can never seem to sharpen knives properly, no matter which knife sharpener I use, so I would probably waste a more expensive knife once it became dull.

I just invest in a good Santoku knife, as well as a deboning knife. I can do just about everything with those two knives alone. On a rare occasion I use my meat cleaver when plowing through a large amount of buffalo wings. I think the most I've ever spent on a given knife though was under $75. I can never seem to sharpen knives properly, no matter which knife sharpener I use, so I would probably waste a more expensive knife once it became dull.
I found sharpening knives at home was ok, using a three wheeled little gadget. But it's nothing compared to getting it done professionally. I drop my knives in two or three times a year a butchers and they send them away with their knives to be sharpened. They come back sharp, really sharp! :thumbsup:

I personally like to use German steel... Preferably Wustof. I have an 8 inch classic and an 8 inch Santoku blade with the PE handle. I also have a Wustof pairing knife with the PE handle as well. All of Wustof's knives are comfortable and have a good weight and feel. Great for slicing and dicing. I keep them sharp with a Wustof brand stone and a diamond embedded steel. Cuts like a razor blade. A little pricey but if you take care of them they will last you a long time.

Back
Top Bottom