Best way to slice home baked bread

Amateur1

Local time
9:46 AM
With bread from the shop, I can take two slices, put on what I choose eg peanut butter then put one slice on top of the other.
If I were to make my own bread, how do I divide it into slices of equal weight and similar size without using a professional slicer?
Once I've sliced the bread, I would freeze it and take it out when needed. For example, on Sunday I often make my sandwiches for Monday and Tuesday as I have more time. Then I put those sandwiches in the fridge until I need them.

If I were to make my own bread, how do I divide it into slices of equal weight and similar size without using a professional slicer?
The short answer is, you can’t if you’re freehanding it. You can, however, buy a slicing box/guide:

Those pics are from Walmart and Amazon.

I hand sliced fresh bread for 15 years in my old family restaurant..I baked 12 loaves of brown and white every day..I'd wait until the next day to let it stale and firm up..Then, I would flip it on it's side with bottom facing me..It is firmer and will allow you to saw through without squishing the whole loaf down. I used the flat edge of the loaf bottom be my guide to cut a straight vertical slice..Don't press too much with your knife, just saw back and forth and let the knife do the work otherwise your slices will become very uneven..

Last edited:
I stick mainly to making dough for dinner rolls, since loaves of bread can act up when being sliced. :whistling:

I hand sliced fresh bread for 15 years in my old family restaurant..I baked 12 loaves of brown and white every day..I'd wait until the next day to let it stale and firm up..Then, I would flip it on it's side with bottom facing me..It is firmer and will allow you to saw through without squishing the whole loaf down. I used the flat edge of the loaf bottom be my guide to cut a straight vertical slice..Don't press too much with your knife, just saw back and forth and let the knife do the work otherwise your slices will become very uneven..

Perfetto.

Back
Top Bottom