Birch Beer

CraigC

Guru
Local time
1:44 PM
I remember the first time I had Birch Beer as a kid at a Royal Castle. I much prefer it to root beer.

Birch beer is really good. We can get it from the Amish markets here, and some other "olde-tyme" markets.

When we were in Alaska, we bought some birch syrup, but we did find we preferred maple syrup. The wife being from a maple syrup producing area was not going to be won over!

No, it is a soft drink similar to root beer. Not made from sap. I saw a recipe that calls for twigs.

I looked it up and apparently there was an 'old time' version which was made from sap and was alcoholic. That sounds more up my street!

If that was the case, as teenagers, I don't think they would have sold it to us. Yes Craig, love that Birch Beer. Do you remember going to an A & W drive-in? That was good root beer. I now drink a lot of Ginger Beer. Have a hard time explaining that it is not alcoholic.

If that was the case, as teenagers, I don't think they would have sold it to us. Yes Craig, love that Birch Beer. Do you remember going to an A & W drive-in? That was good root beer. I now drink a lot of Ginger Beer. Have a hard time explaining that it is not alcoholic.

Seen A&W places, but never stopped at one. One of my favorite drinks was at drug stores that had soda fountains. It was real coke (made with sugar) and cherry syrup, a real cherry Coke!

Down the street was a place called Jay's Sundry. Many a night I would walk there to play their pin ball machine and drink their Cherry Coke (that they made). Boy, are you bringing back such teenage memories.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom