Bisto

Why is Bistro gravy is shiny? I'm used to beef gravy looking rather dull. Actually most gravies.

CD
It shines when you add butter. That's why my gravy shines

There's no butter added. Bisto powder. Just reflection from the close window on the left.

I could have used a poloriser but it was too late when I noticed the glare. The grub would have been cold.

There's no butter added. Bisto powder. Just reflection from the close window on the left.

I could have used a poloriser but it was too late when I noticed the glare. The grub would have been cold.

It is not just your photo. There are other photos I've seen of Bistro gravy looking shiny, to me. I'm just trying to figure out why.

CD

It is not just your photo. There are other photos I've seen of Bistro gravy looking shiny, to me. I'm just trying to figure out why.

CD

Ingredients​

Potato Starch, Salt, Wheat Starch, Colour (E150c), Onion Powder, Inactive Yeast Powder (contains Barley, Wheat)

Its probably the wheat starch. I think its a bit like cornflour (corn starch) - it becomes translucent when mixed with liquid. Just guessing. Maybe ChefBasics can advise.

One thing about Bisto is that it is vegan (always has been) but tastes sort of 'beefy'.

Is there a US equivalent to this much loved British gravy?

Anyone use this stuff? I found this in a supermarket in Manila and I was thinking ‘does it come in a pack smaller than 1kg? I’ll never be able to use that much!’ but now I’m almost running out and don’t know when I am going again.

4DC1DE96-974A-4F76-9A91-07C3EB966F44.jpeg

Used Bisto for years (adding pan gravies and suchlike) but I prefer this for consistency and lack of lumpiness.

Back
Top Bottom