Bizarre cooking injuries

Jessi

Veteran
Local time
7:54 PM
I'm not a clumsy person and I rarely hurt myself in the kitchen. When I do, though, it's usually in some bizarre way.

For example, I have burned my belly button more than once. One time, it was from tippy toeing up into a cabinet and I leaned forward into a crockpot. Another time, I was draining some pasta and didn't notice that the boiling water started pouring down the side of the cabinet, soaking my shirt. By the time it actually touched my skin, the shirt stuck to me and I burned a whole patch across my stomach. :(

Do you have any bizarre kitchen accidents in your history?

Not much of bizarre incidents in my cooking experience. However, I did have one instance where a few drops of water fell into hot oil and it splashed few drops of oil on my nose. It really burnt my nose and formed a red patch.

People found me funny to look at and very even more amused to learn about my experience. :)

When I was really young, I tried to stand on my toes and peek at what was cooking in the frying pan - and ended up burning a "mustache" beneath my nose from the hot pan bumping against my face. Hurt like hell and got all blistered and everything.

When I was working at Burger King as a teenager, I was taking something out of the fryers with a pair of tongs, and it didn't occur to me that the tong handles, which were hollow, would funnel the hot oil right on to my hand and arm when I lifted the item up. I burned the crap out of my arm doing that, and still have a faint scar from it.

Another time, wasn't really anything that hurt me directly - but was more of a klutz moment. I spent several hours making stock on the stove, and when I was ready to strain it, for some stupid reason I forgot to put a pot under the strainer to catch the stock, so I ended up dumping it all down the drain and was just left with the scraps in the strainer :/

Another time, wasn't really anything that hurt me directly - but was more of a klutz moment. I spent several hours making stock on the stove, and when I was ready to strain it, for some stupid reason I forgot to put a pot under the strainer to catch the stock, so I ended up dumping it all down the drain and was just left with the scraps in the strainer :/

Haha, oops!! I'm sure it wasn't funny as you realized all your hard work and effort went down the drain...literally. It sounds like something I would end up doing, though! Did you end up making more stock?

I shouldn't laugh I know, but this is almost exactly what happened to me last night. I had the homemade Indian curry simmering nicely and had made up a batch of rice and went to strain it. Whilst shaking the rice, the handle snapped off the sieve and all of the rice ended up on the floor or in the kitchen sink...:(
Luckily the meal is not time critical (except for a husband's empty tummy) so it was easily rectified by putting on another batch of rice.

I'm using my halogen oven almost exclusively, and a couple of weeks ago, I was lifting out a roast chicken with the tongs provided, which were gripped on the lip of the dish - or at least I thought they were! I must have caught them on something, because the dish landed up on the floor, and as I went to catch the chicken, it landed right on my waist, and burned me quite badly - even through my jeans. I've spent two weeks wearing loose dresses and bikini style underwear, as I can't bear anything around my waist. It's finally healing now, but it has caused a lot of laughs when I tell people a chicken hurt me!

Cut myself on an onion once while slicing them.

Stabbed my self in the top of my inner thigh while trimming two case of caulis,many years ago ,two close to my family jewels for my liking ,it bled like mad
And plenty of sweat related injures are always not far away in the heat !

Taking out my contact lenses after chopping chilli was not one of the better ideas I've ever had. My excuse: it was about 30 years ago or so and I was not only fairly young, but not entirely sober at the time.

My injuries in the kitchen are often and many. The worst one I have had, however, involved a deep fat fryer about seven years ago and is the reason I no longer have one. I had it turned on to heat up the fat with the lid open. I hate the smell of hot fat, so thought it wouldbe a goodidea to position the fryer on top of my glass hob under the extractor fan. There is a lip of glass att the edge of the hob, something I hadn't thought about as I slid the boiling (and open) fryer along the worktop. As it hit the lip of glass, the contents of the fryer sloshed over the side and over my bare arm. The burn was so bad that my skin turned white instead of red. Nasty!

I sliced the top of my right index finger almost clean off on a mandolin slicer a couple of years back. My fingertip still doesn't have full feeling back in it...needless to say mandolin slicers are one of my biggest fears these days :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom